"Apple/Mystery Snails aren't good companions for fish anyway." Help

1. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Just read something...

"Apple/Mystery Snails aren't good companions for fish anyway."

Does anybody else agree with this statement?
    Apparently it's a 'snail expert'?

Now I'm confused and I feel bad that I have a Mystery Snail... But it's so happy... Zooming around my tank...

2. Jim Well Known Member Member

One man's opinion! I can't tell you if they are good or bad but they do get along in my tanks.

3. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Did this expert say why???

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

Nope.

Then the next other "expert" also said it was great to add them...

Beginning to think they're a little bonkers... :;voices

5. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Depends. My mystery snail in my shrimp tank is the most relaxed; his antennae are out all the time, and he doesn't have to compete with anyone for food.

My community tank snail only takes his antennae out at night, because otherwise the DG gets a little overly curious and tries to eat them. Not aggressively or anything, he just is swimming past, sees the antennae waving around, and goes "ooh! Is that food?" and gives it a little peck. The snail has also learned to cover his food so the cories and DG can't get it.

Some fish (some bettas, for example) will harass a mystery snail until eye stems or antennae come off. That's probably not great for the snail.

I don't think either of mine really mind their setup. The mystery in the community tank never hides, he's just had to learn a couple of extra skills.

6. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Ive had many mystery snails and other varieties of snails with various fish ( Angel fish, tetras, danios, etc ) with no problems. The only fish I DID have problems with were Tiger barbs - but then again, the Tiger Barbs didn't get along with most of the fish in the tank to begin with.

7. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hahaha maybe just alittle bit ;)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app