Appistogramma vs Kribensis

Nikn

I would like to add a pair of dwarf cichlids to my 180l (50gallon) community tank. Currently I have 2 angels, 2 blue gouramis, 4 bp and 2 panda garra. I kept appistogramma agazzisi in the past and there weren't any problems, however I lost them both due to fungal infection.

I was wondering which pair would be more likely to breed and have a more comfortable life. Any advice would be appreciated

bsimon615

Kribensis would get my vote. In fact I would seek out a nice male and maybe 3 females. The 3 females would give the male a nice selection and as the females would always be trying to get the male's attention even after he has paired off with his first choice, they would add color to the tank. As cichlids go you will find that Kribensis fry are quite large and they grow fairly fast. The mother's protective instincts are off the chart and if hiding places are provided some should survive.

I have found that if in a tank by themselves with some hiding spots you may rarely see them, however in a community tank they will become quite outgoing and their color is fantastic plus each one, both male and female will be a bit different from each other. Males are more elongate and while colorful do not exhibit quite the color of the females. Males can have a tail fin without any spots or they may have one or more than one. The male shown in the photo below has 4 tail spots. Females are more compressed with an amazing purple/red belly when mature and some nice copper colored features in the dorsal fin plus spots (or no spots) in the tail. Lot's of yellow in them too, especially the female. When I sell some of my babies to local fish stores I recommend that they put them in a tank with tiger barbs. The tiger barbs will help them overcome their shyness so you see them all the time and they color up.

In my 40 gallon long I have a number of fish which are larger including a pair of angelfish, some Electric Blue Acaras, 10 Roseline sharks plus several other fish. The Kribs are quite capable of holding their own, they are respected by their larger tank mates. They get my vote.

Barry Simon

Attachments

• Kribensis on 4-11-21 1.jpg
    Kribensis on 4-11-21 1.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Kribensis on 4-11-21 4.jpg
    Kribensis on 4-11-21 4.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Marco Rodriguez

Gonna have to agree with bsimon615 especially since you already had apistos. Keep it exciting and try breeding something new! also if you did mean blood parrots by bp I would check that they can do well in a tank that size not sure never had them.

Upvote 0

Nikn

4 bp?....as in blood parrots? bristlenose pleco?
as in bristlenose plecos. Sorry I should have specified

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

As you have 4 BN plecos you will have to build a relationship with a shop or club auction to relieve yourself of the inevitable juvenile BN plecos soon.

From what I have seen Krbensis are easy to breed. Organising someone beforehand to take the fry would be my only limitation on Kribensis.

Upvote 0

Nikn

Kribensis would get my vote. In fact I would seek out a nice male and maybe 3 females. The 3 females would give the male a nice selection and as the females would always be trying to get the male's attention even after he has paired off with his first choice, they would add color to the tank. As cichlids go you will find that Kribensis fry are quite large and they grow fairly fast. The mother's protective instincts are off the chart and if hiding places are provided some should survive.

I have found that if in a tank by themselves with some hiding spots you may rarely see them, however in a community tank they will become quite outgoing and their color is fantastic plus each one, both male and female will be a bit different from each other. Males are more elongate and while colorful do not exhibit quite the color of the females. Males can have a tail fin without any spots or they may have one or more than one. The male shown in the photo below has 4 tail spots. Females are more compressed with an amazing purple/red belly when mature and some nice copper colored features in the dorsal fin plus spots (or no spots) in the tail. Lot's of yellow in them too, especially the female. When I sell some of my babies to local fish stores I recommend that they put them in a tank with tiger barbs. The tiger barbs will help them overcome their shyness so you see them all the time and they color up.

In my 40 gallon long I have a number of fish which are larger including a pair of angelfish, some Electric Blue Acaras, 10 Roseline sharks plus several other fish. The Kribs are quite capable of holding their own, they are respected by their larger tank mates. They get my vote.

Barry Simon
Thank you for your great reply, I really appreciate it! I'm not sure if I could get 4 kibs in total, because I fear the tank might be overstocked but maybe I could squeeze in a trio? I do regular water changes as well as filter maintenance and gravel vacuums. I would definitely add more caves, so there is enough for panda garra, plecos and the kribs. I could also add more plants to help with the filtration. I will keep you guys updated.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

as in bristlenose plecos. Sorry I should have specified

Thanks! I feel like the BP are problematic for both the apistogramma, and the kribs. Everybody wants to live in that bottom level of the tank. It probably kinda works as long as there is no spawning. Once you've got a spawn, I'd be prepared to have some BP with missing eyes...

Upvote 0

Nikn

Thank you all for the replays. I currently have blue gourami fry and I made a deal with the shop. They said they will take them as long as they can resell them. They also said they would take any other fish fry I had, so getting rid of the fry is not a problem. I will be sure to provide a lot of caves/hiding spaces for both plecos and kribs.

I'm still worried about overstocking the tank. I can keep up with weekly water changes, but I don't know if this will be enough. I have a eheim biopower 240 filter together with 5 amazon sword plants (two of them are really big) some ludwigia, Anubis and a small java fern. I also have some floating plants.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nikn
  • Question
Replies
Views
Nikn
Replies
Views
mattgirl