Apparently I quit my job!

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha. As some of you probably don't remember I have, or I should say had, the world's worst boss. Aside from being just plain insane, she is the type that is constantly yelling at everyone (usually for no or stupid reasons), berating employees in front of customers, refusing to pay employees on time, the list goes on and on. The pinnacle was her forcing me to quit because she refused to listen to me about another employee (whom she happened to be sleeping with) being verbally abusive to myself and the rest of the staff. (I was begged back into employment about an hour later)

I've been working there for three years plus a bit, half the time without pay. It's a restaurant, so the only reason I stayed is that it's one of three business in the town where I live, and I at least made tip money, as I was a waitress.

Well, I sent my boss a text today (she never picks up the phone when I call, and I had no desire to go see her in person) to see where my schedule for the weekend was (we get our schedules sent to us via text, usually only the day before our work week starts). I received a text back several hours later letting me know that the reason I didn't get a schedule because "as per our conversation last week, that was the last week with 'full staff' and basically wondering why I was looking for my schedule when I had quit.

Big surprise to me, haha. My boss did mention something to me, in passing, about that possibly being the last weekend with a full staff, and cutting back for the winter. I had let her know that I was seeking employment elsewhere due to me moving out of town, and I assured her that I would give proper two weeks notice when that happened, not wanting to put the restaurant and other employees in a bad spot because I left without notice. Though frankly our entire kitchen staff quit without notice a few weeks ago, likely due to them not getting paid on time (or at all) and being verbally abused by yet another staff person, their supervisor.

So I was like, "wut. I quit my job? Funny, I was totally unaware of that."

I am assuming she had just decided that I was done, that she didn't want me back. But seriously who does that?

Anyway, rant over. I just wanted to share. Hopefully I will get another job very soon. I'm not good at making no money at all.

Oh, bonus! I had to send the restaurant's bookkeeper a message requesting a breakdown of my backpay. I've been asking for it for a while, part of the reason I hadn't quit yet is because I didn't know precisely how much money was owed me by the restaurant. She was so surprised when I informed her of what happened that she apparently sent the owner (my former boss the evil one) a text asking what was going on. I find it hilarious that the bookkeeper literally had no clue this was going down.

The good news is, I supposedly get that breakdown next week. The bad news is, I'm really angry about this treatment for the zillionth time. I have no desire to speak to my boss again, but I suspect she owes me somewhere in the range of $3000 that's been let to slide over the years. I also have to go by this weekend and get my stuff. (because people totally quit their jobs and then don't take their personal belongings that live in the workplace with them on their last day, apparently.)

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Tell me about it haha. I'm not that upset about not working there anymore. I'm upset that my boss was a heinous terror about it and didn't wait for me to find a new job.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's very common for bosses to let someone go once they know they are planning on quitting or give heir 2 weeks notice.
This is a tactic to keep disgruntled employees from bad mouthing the boss or business to other co-workers or customers. Also to keep them from any sabotage.

Kind of the same with getting fired. They usually won't say 'your last day is Friday' It's 'You're fired, leave now'

I agree with Jeta, sounds like you are better off.
Who wants to work in that atmosphere and not get paid.

Good luck! You'll find something you like better.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The owner may also be trying to make it seem like you quit to protect the business from you claiming unemployment on them. If an employee quits or leaves a job/does not show up then they are not able to claim unemployment. If an employee is let go for any reason aside from not adhering to company policy (showing up on time, following the rules, etc) then you would be entitled to unemployment. The company would normally have an unemployment insurance policy to pay for these claims. When people file for unemployment it makes the companies rate for these insurance policies go up. On the other hand they may not be required to have this insurance, in which case they would be paying your unemployment claim out of pocket.

I used to deal with this stuff a lot when I ran a number of restaurants. I would check with your unemployment office locally and go ahead and file a claim. If you quickly find a job then no biggie, you can notify the office and cancel your claim. If you don't then at least you have a little bit of money to tithe you over until you find a spot.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sadly this is the norm in business. In the trucking industry drivers traditionally do not give a two week notice. It is a two day notice...As in I quit today.

But they can get away with it because there is such a severe shortage of competent drivers out there. If you have a clean license you can be in the cab of another company's truck in 3 weeks (BG check) if you did not pre plan it. Trucking companies are always poaching each others drivers.

zaraspook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its tough working for someone who yelling all the time. A great boss knows how to talk to his employees to get the most production out of the person. I find it funny that people out there thinks that in order to get the most out of a person is by yelling at them all the time. I been in the construction trade of 27 years and watch these foremans yelling all the time at the guys but as soon as he or she left they slow down there production but the foremans that reason with them gain respect and got the most out of them.

Well good luck finding a new job and keep you fingers cross that the next boss is better.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The hilarious thing to me is, she's actually not saying I've been let go. She says that I quit. I'm pretty sure I'd remember that... haha.

Anyway, I know I'm better off, because she is CRAZY. I just needed to vent. I know it's common for someone to be let go after putting in notice, but I hadn't even put in notice yet. And this woman has never, NEVER let anyone go or fired anyone before. She *has* been awful upon awful to make people quit, but she's never fired someone.

She's just delusional at this point. She actually really thinks that I told her I wasn't coming back after last weekend.

Jomolager

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Your boss is very smart. She knows how to press your buttons. Why are you letting her get away with it?

In her communications with you she is establishing, that she did not fire you, but you quit yourself while behaving in an inappropriate manner and thus you are inelligible for the unemployment benefits.

If I were you, I would immediately respond in writing, both by email and snail mail stating that despite the disparate treatment (you are not the one sleeping with her) she has been subjecting you to, you did not quit. You are surprised and shocked to learn that she has misinterpreted your last encounter, etc. and that you are ready to start your next shift as scheduled.

I understand that you despise her, but don't let that show in your rebuttal. Be reasonable, logical and above all exercise all restraint you can muster. When you write it to her, pretend you are writing it to a judge, whom you want to persuade to rule in your favor. In reality, you are writing it to her boss or her lawyer who should take your side and advise her accordingly.

Go back to work, stiff upper lip, it is no fun, and look for another job. It is much easier to find a better job with better salary when you are employed, than when you are unemployed. I apologize if I butted into things that are non of my business. I wish you well.

N2Gongfu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jomolager said:
Your boss is very smart. She knows how to press your buttons. Why are you letting her get away with it?

In her communications with you she is establishing, that she did not fire you, but you quit yourself while behaving in an inappropriate manner and thus you are inelligible for the unemployment benefits.

If I were you, I would immediately respond in writing, both by email and snail mail stating that despite the disparate treatment (you are not the one sleeping with her) she has been subjecting you to, you did not quit. You are surprised and shocked to learn that she has misinterpreted your last encounter, etc. and that you are ready to start your next shift as scheduled.

I understand that you despise her, but don't let that show in your rebuttal. Be reasonable, logical and above all exercise all restraint you can muster. When you write it to her, pretend you are writing it to a judge, whom you want to persuade to rule in your favor. In reality, you are writing it to her boss or her lawyer who should take your side and advise her accordingly.

Go back to work, stiff upper lip, it is no fun, and look for another job. It is much easier to find a better job with better salary when you are employed, than when you are unemployed. I apologize if I butted into things that are non of my business. I wish you well.
UNLESS you can quickly transition to another job, +1

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It would be difficult to go back to work when she won't put me on the schedule. Honestly I've thought of all that before, been considering most of it for months. Unfortunately the bottom line is, it won't do any good. She's going to do what she's going to do, as always. It's unfortunate, but it's a very common occurrence. She has no boss and never consults a lawyer, even when she should. Based on the conversation we had, her mind is made up that I quit, and she will not schedule me to work.

I also have to be careful how I handle it. I live in a town with a population of 46. Everyone knows everyone, and everyone knows everyone else's business. If I were to write a letter like that, demanding to be allowed to come back to work, not only would I not be allowed to do so, but it would make her angry and thus affect how she acts around the rest of the town. That would ultimately affect my family's business (the other business in town).

Small town dynamics are very complicated :/ Especially when it's a town whose primary residents are retirees, so they have nothing to do all day but get in other people's business

zaraspook

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Think of it this way. I know you weren't think about quitting your job and the money won't be coming in but its like a vacation in a way. Unfortunately now you have the time to get all those little jobs done around the house. Plus look for a better job. What am I saying that kinda good or bad. Don't you just love small towns there is nothing thats goes on without somebody knowing it and the words can spread like quick sand.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha, exactly. And Im actually doing exactly that. Going to finally take the recycling into town, as it's taking over my kitchen. Get the dogs out for a long hike with the boyfriend's dogs, finishing a bunch of fish projects I started.

I even started photographing driftwood and plants for sale on ebay. I kinda feel productive

Jomolager

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As I said, this is totally none of my business. You are right, I don't know the entire picture, and I only know what you told us, but you should have it on the record, that you did not quit and that you have been subjected to a hostile work environment.

You never know what will happen in the future. You may have an opportunity to get a dream job, but the doors will be closed because she will portrait you as "unreliable, who quit without any provocation."

It is good to finally have time to do a few things that need to be done, it is better, of course, to have some money coming in while you are doing all that.

Good luck to you, do what is best for you.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom