Aponogetons

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by *Hannah*, Mar 20, 2010.

1. *Hannah*

*Hannah* Valued Member Member

Last summer I got five aponogeton bulbs and only one grew. It got really big, but a couple of months ago all the leaves fell off. Now a couple of leaves grew back, but they are really short. Why did all the leaves fall off? Will it grow back like how it was before?

Thanks,

*Hannah*

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Many bulb plants go thru a period of dormancy. Actually you could take the bulb out and let it rest for awhile. My large crinckly leafed thingy bulb just did that. I dried it (partially) and have in the the fridge for a couple of more weeks. Hopefully it will regrow later.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Good advice above from Ted. Most Aponogeton varieties actually NEED the dormant period. The only one I'm aware of that doesn't absolutley need the dormant period is Aponogeton Rigidifolius.

4. OP
    OP
    *Hannah*

If I don't take out the bulb will it die? Can I just leave it in the tank? If I do take it out how long would you suggest?

I got ten more bulbs I am hoping to get better luck with them. So far three or four of them already sprouted in just two days.

Thanks for the quick answers.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. Nutter

You can leave the bulbs in the tank. They will start to regrow when they are ready. (sounds like one of yours is regrowing). Not all of the bulbs that you buy are viable so you will get some occasionally that will never grow. You may be able to return the ones that havn't grown & get them exchanged if they were from a mail oreder outlet.

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

I bought 6 "bulbs" out of a tank at Walmart. The clerk said she thought they were just dead plant and sold them to me for $.99 (all 6) This is one of the bulbs just over a week in a NPT with ^ lighting and ferts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    *Hannah*

Wow, it grew that big in just a week? It is a really pretty plant too. Do you know what kind it is?

8. striker

striker Valued Member Member

How many hours of light did you give your plants?

9. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

WOW that thing is gorgeous! Nutter, plant id? please? : )

10. Nutter

Best guess would be Aponogeton Undulatus.

11. FishVixen

That's what I think also. It's alittle bigger now and has a few more leaves. I had to move some swords because the leaves are so light they topple over and cover whatever is under them. I do use 300 watts of 6500k CF lighting on a timer for 9 hours a day and ferts of flourish and flourish iron for the red plants. It is in a 55 gal tank.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  12. striker

striker Valued Member Member

wow 300 watts!
    My 10 gallon only has 28 watts cfl 5000K

13. FishVixen

That's good over 2 watts per gal. I have 6 tanks all with different lighting to experiment with plants and animals. My tanks range from 1.5 up to 4 watts per gal. Actually 1 is just in a bright window just getting sunlight (just for the past week)

14. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

I believe Nutter once told me the WPG rule doesn't apply to 10g or under...

15. FishVixen

I've heard that before. That's why I'm experimenting with the 10 in the bright window.

16. Nutter

Correct. Here's a link that gives a basic explanation of the logic behind it:

Basically it is as simple as there is a minimum amount of light that certain plants need to grow. Once the tank gets to less than 10gal the maths just doesn't add up to give intense enough light to support plant life.

IMO the WPG rules are pretty much useless anyway. I only use them because it is easier for people to follow what I'm talking about.

17. FishVixen

WOW Nutter, I'm impressed with the article. As i have Only been doing NPT's for the past 3 months I'm still playing with lighting. I only use 6500K or higher. 6500K seems the easiest and cheapest to find in my area. I'm going to try to figure out the lux values in my 2 55g tanks just for courisosity. So far I haven't lost one plant in any of my tanks so I must be doing something right. Plus they are all growing well. Only have 4 red plants and the color is bright. Thank you for the link. ;D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice