aponogeton plant propagation

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I bought some bulbs at walmart a while back and they grew like crazy mad plants. So now some are shooting flowering stalks and I know I'm suppose to pollinate the flowers.
But there are 2 plants that instead of flowering they had some sort of babay plant on the stalk and now it grew plenty of leaves and has plenty of roots.

My question is that how should i cut them without hurting either plant or should I just wait until they fall off the stalk?
Also has anybody else seen aponogeton plants propagate by shooting baby plants instead of flowering.
695.jpg

698.jpg

699.jpg

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
here is a useful link:
https://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/apons-randall.html

from what I understand, many bulbs that are sold are hybrids of the different aponogeton species, some are even sterile. I would assume that propagation of the hybrids would be slightly different than the more well known species. It sounds like yours is shooting off adventitious plantlets like the A. Crispus, very similar to amazon swords. I believe someone just posted an in depth tutorial on how to propagate amazon swords, if you do a search for the thread, you might find some of that information useful as well.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads