Not open for further replies.

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Woohoo, finally bloomed today!

Sorry for the terrible photo. I will take better ones when it gets bigger

I'm not sure what I'll do with a bunch of baby A. crispus if it does pollinate and have babies.... I don't think I'll have space in the tank!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Congrats! Well, I for one vote you send one my way! ... maybe 2

I felt all warm and fuzzy inside when my Kleiner Bar threw out a runner ... thing. I was hoping for a flower but it graced me with two baby KB Swords instead!

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks! Well that's good too baby plants are always exciting!

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Update!

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Another flower bud has sprouted from the same plant too!

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The second flower has bloomed

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have one of these I grew from a bulb. They grow into MONSTERS. Absolute beasts. Mine grew big enough to be the only live plant in an entire ten gallon. I didn't trim it back, I just let it start to coil on the surface because the guppies really enjoyed it that way.

It's now in my 55 gallon and it's grown another three inches. Also, in my ten gallon, it had seeded at least 12 babies from it. Unfortunately they all went when I sold the tank, but I bet it'll seed more in my 55 gallon.

What I can say is that they really love fish poo. If you have them in a tank nicely stocked (not overstocked, of course) then they will grow faster.

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, it's getting pretty bit in my 10 gal... and I have 3 in 10 gal and 1 in 5.5 gal. I will hopefully be able to give away the babies to a neighbor or something lol, there is definitely no space in my tank for any more plants (unfortunately)

A bit unrelated, but I really want to start a dirted tank. unfortunately I'm going to college soon and my parents are probably not going to let me get another tank.. (as they will be left to take care of it haha)

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, the same plant is going to have a THIRD flower... yeah, it's crazy. If they all produce seeds.. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them
you can see the flower bud:

I think this plant has a flower bud too. It's very small. I'm pretty sure it's a different kind of aponogeton- not crispus. Maybe the flower will look different?

And an update on the current flowers They smell like... vanilla and almonds. Weird mix, I know HAHA.

Thanks for looking

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah, it's getting pretty bit in my 10 gal... and I have 3 in 10 gal and 1 in 5.5 gal. I will hopefully be able to give away the babies to a neighbor or something lol, there is definitely no space in my tank for any more plants (unfortunately)

A bit unrelated, but I really want to start a dirted tank. unfortunately I'm going to college soon and my parents are probably not going to let me get another tank.. (as they will be left to take care of it haha)
If not, you could offer the seedlings in the ROAK section or the local fish club (I guess)?
Double check with your new dorm (I'm assuming you're going to a dorm) Mine allowed 10 gal fish tanks only requirement was fish only (no reptiles or the like). I got started while I was in school! your parents will appreciate you taking one of your tanks with you I'm sure.

hmmm vanilla-almond scent, wow I want flowers even more! that's cool! Thanks for sharing!!!

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I might if I have way too many & none of my friends want em

Problem is, I'll probably be back home during breaks. And I don't want to have to move it so many times

Yeah they're pretty cool but for some reason they only have that scent in the day. At night they suddenly don't smell like anything anymore...

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I found a new sprout already in my 55 gallon today. It was attached to the intake on my filter. It had sprouted pretty long roots so I buried it in the sand next to the mama plant. I love finding new live plants in my tank!

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I might if I have way too many & none of my friends want em

Problem is, I'll probably be back home during breaks. And I don't want to have to move it so many times

Yeah they're pretty cool but for some reason they only have that scent in the day. At night they suddenly don't smell like anything anymore...
I think the only break that would be a problem would be the extended ones (winter and summer). I did a (lazy) break down, removed 90% of the water, bagged the fish, dried the filter (bag the media wet) and either drop into the tank or hang on the tank wall with the bulk of it inside the tank. Hood back on and seat belted into my passenger seat I dont know if thats the correct way, but my school was 2.5 hrs away from home, so I also didn't have too far to go. For the shorter breaks (spring and thanksgiving) I left them. Kinda treated it like you would a vacation. I told the folks in charge I had a tank so they didn't turn the power off, fed them (I wanted to try the weekend feeder discs but never did), did a good water change then rolled out. But, thats me.

I dont know about aquatic flowers, terrestrial ones close up at night (Exception is the Moonflower). May be why you dont smell them.

slimeneo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2.5 hrs wow I am likely just going to a state school, maybe 30 min away lol. But if anything ill probably have a small walstad tank in my dorm. I'm too lazy to move everything haha.

Here's all 4 flowers (1 hasn't bloomed yet, just got to the surface today)

& the first flower, one is seeding (it's sort of green bc I accidentally damaged the stem so half of it was underwater and it turned green)

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
2.5 hrs from us is basically the eastern and western borders of MD. I went to Univ. of MD Eastern Shore. but yeah, it's still quite a trip. I'm lazy, so like I said, I only took them home when I had to (long breaks).

Wow! Look at it go! Dumb question: is this all one plant or several different ones flowering at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom