Aponogeton Bulbs

sairving

Last weekend as a fun little experiment, I bought a back of "betta bulbs" from Petco. They are beginning to sprout this week. What direction should I plant them in the tank? Sprouting side up?

I have no idea what variety of aponogeton they are yet. It will be a surprise. Hopefully they will get bushy enough my betta will not longer be mad I had to trade-in his favorite plant.

mattgirl

definitely spouting side up. Once they start growing they grow pretty fast so your little guy should be pleased with you. It seems I only have one now. Started out with 3. It just started growing again after being dormant for at least a year. Mine is more tall than bushy though. If you have several planted fairly close together they should be bushy enough for him.

JLAquatics

How big is that tank you put those Betta Bulbs in? Those bulbs are likely Aponogeton Ulvaceus, and will get MASSIVE once they get growing. I had just one bulb completely take over a 10 gallon aquarium and here is a single bulb in my 30 gallon tank when it was first set up, it was that huge plant in the middle. They will even flower for you and will enter dormancy in a few months time, so keep that in mind. Also it is a great idea to trim some of the leaves once in a while at the leaf base if they get too out of hand. Great plant to have though!

0127211121a (1).jpg

sairving

JLAquatics said:
How big is that tank you put those Betta Bulbs in? Those bulbs are likely Aponogeton Ulvaceus, and will get MASSIVE once they get growing. I had just one bulb completely take over a 10 gallon aquarium and here is a single bulb in my 30 gallon tank when it was first set up, it was that huge plant in the middle. They will even flower for you and will enter dormancy in a few months time, so keep that in mind. Also it is a great idea to trim some of the leaves once in a while at the leaf base if they get too out of hand. Great plant to have though!

0127211121a (1).jpg

I have a 5.5 gallon tank. Hopefully an occasional trim will keep it from getting too out of control. If not, I can always trade it in at my lfs. In the previous saga of plants I bought that grew too large was a tiger lotus. It doubled in size every 24 hours. Louie loved his tiger lotus.

I find that plants people consider "easy" have issues in my hard water. So, I just try plants to see what grows and what doesn't.

It is rather entertaining that the package the bulbs came in said the minimum tank size was a quarter gallon.

JLAquatics

sairving said:
I have a 5.5 gallon tank. Hopefully an occasional trim will keep it from getting too out of control. If not, I can always trade it in at my lfs. In the previous saga of plants I bought that grew too large was a tiger lotus. It doubled in size every 24 hours. Louie loved his tiger lotus.

I find that plants people consider "easy" have issues in my hard water. So, I just try plants to see what grows and what doesn't.

It is rather entertaining that the package the bulbs came in said the minimum tank size was a quarter gallon.
The Aponogeton should give you no trouble with growing well, but that will become a different kind of trouble for you with growing too much! These will grow faster than even a Tiger Lotus and it took over my old 10 gallon tank in less than 2 weeks after planting. I found a really old photo of my 10 gallon tank with one of these. I could definitely "see" putting one of these Aponogetons in a 1/4 gallon tank, that is the funniest thing I heard all day!

0410201657a.jpg

Corylover123

Thanks for the idea to use apogeneton in my tank btw, you can grow it emersed (out of the tank if you want and it will make it very cool and clean your tank easily. What kinds of apogeneton are nice for a 40g?

mattgirl

The leaves on mine is already to the top of my 55 gallon tank and it only woke up a couple of weeks ago Your 5.5 gallon will be filled to the brim very quickly. The plus though is they are very pretty plants.

Corylover123

pop a hole in your lid for the leafs to escape is there a certain temp for lillies and apogenton

sairving

mattgirl said:
The leaves on mine is already to the top of my 55 gallon tank and it only woke up a couple of weeks ago Your 5.5 gallon will be filled to the brim very quickly. The plus though is they are very pretty plants.
I'm down for pretty plants. So far the things that do the best seem to get large......no I just upgraded to this tank a few months ago (should have bought the 10 or 20 gallon).

Corylover123

Wait does it go back into the bulb when it goes dormant?

JLAquatics

Corylover123 said:
Wait does it go back into the bulb when it goes dormant?
The leaves will slowly die back so technically yes. It is a good idea to take the bulb out of the tank and rip the roots and dying leaves off when it does this and put the bulb in a damp cloth or damp cup of sand. Store this in a dark and dry place for a few months, then place it back in the tank and surround the plant with root tabs. It will grow like new again.. until it goes dormant once again. It has to do with the original climate the plant is from (I believe Madagascar), where there is a rainy and dry season.

sairving

Corylover123 said:
pop a hole in your lid for the leafs to escape is there a certain temp for lillies and apogenton
Bettas like it around 78-79 degrees. The red tiger lotus grew like crazy but I think it was sucking up all the extra nutrients in the water. I and a HOB filter so there is a gap in the top towards the back. I covered it up to keep the cat out and my previous betta jumped out through a gap accidentally left towards the front. I'm extra careful about making sure the top is secured.

Corylover123

JLAquatics said:
The leaves will slowly die back so technically yes. It is a good idea to take the bulb out of the tank and rip the roots and dying leaves off when it does this and put the bulb in a damp cloth or damp cup of sand. Store this in a dark and dry place for a few months, then place it back in the tank and surround the plant with root tabs. It will grow like new again.. until it goes dormant once again. It has to do with the original climate the plant is from (I believe Madagascar), where there is a rainy and dry season.
Do water lillies do this?

sairving

Corylover123 said:
I think they also have dormant periods from a few weeks to a few months depending on the lilly.

Corylover123

I think it’s temperature if it gets cold

JLAquatics

Corylover123 said:
If I am not mistaken Dwarf Aquarium Lilies also have this process, just not as dramatic. However, the plant will not completely die back so leaving this type of plant in the tank is best. Hardy Pond Lilies have a full dormancy period during the winter where they do this until spring comes again.

Corylover123

So it’s triggered by cold with them ok that’s good to know so do any apos not go dormant

sairving

Corylover123 said:
So it’s triggered by cold with them ok that’s good to know so do any apos not go dormant
From what I've read, dormancy in the wild can also depend if it's dry or rainy season. They'll go dormant when the water dries up and then grow again during the rainy season.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom