Aponogeton Bulbs

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought them at Wal-Mart. These are the first live plants ever. Do they need special care besides trimming and lighting?

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will neeed to be fertilized as well.
Any of the liquid fertilizers should to fine as directed.

Dino

OP
Stradius011

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can I plant them and fertilize them later?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yup, Aponogetons do need fertilization and good lighting as well. They're at least medium-light plants. When you plant the bulb, make sure that the root part is facing the bottom and that the crown part (where the leaves will begin to grow) is facing the light. Also, the crown cannot be buried under gravel.

OP
Stradius011

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isabella said:
Yup, Aponogetons do need fertilization and good lighting as well. They're at least medium-light plants. When you plant the bulb, make sure that the root part is facing the bottom and that the crown part (where the leaves will begin to grow) is facing the light. Also, the crown cannot be buried under gravel.
Huh? How can I tell whaich side is the crown and which is the root?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have it somewhere in my books; if I find it, I'll let you know.

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I bought some aponogetons for my 10 gallon tank.  Only one of them decided to grow so far.  I hope you have better success.  At any rate, I just dropped mine in the tank.  When I saw the roots starting to grow, I just planted it root side down.  It is doing great.  I was never told that they needed fertilized.  I thought they just ate the waste from the fish and their food.  Why do they need fertilized? ???

CherryRose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
OK, folks, I checked my book (Aquarium Plants Manual by Barron's), and here is what I found about Aponogetons and their planting and care:

Firstly, Aponogetons do not have normal root systems like, for example, stem plants (such as Echinodorus, which is the Swordplant) have. Aponogetons have storage organs instead, that are called tubers. Tubers have to be planted so that the point where the leaves sprout is still clearly visible. Only half of the bulb should be covered by the bottom material (and/or gravel). Aponogetons are shallow-rooted plants and they do best when set in wide, shallow depressions in which you can spread out the roots slightly. Aponogeton tubers, which you will have bought during their resting period, have no leaves. For this reason, it is quite important to place them in the correct position in the ground/gravel. The "eyes", from which the leaves sprout, have to be on the top side when planted; otherwise, the plant will not take root. After the plants are set, Aponogeton tubers sprout quickly and grow and bloom in great abundance, given favorable conditions. After about 8 months, they cease to grow and gradually lose all their leaves; they are contracting. When that happens: (1) Leave the tuber in the aquarium; after several weeks it will usually put out growth again; (2) If no new leaves have appeared after 2 months, dig up the tuber and let it lie on the bottom material (gravel) for several weeks. It will put out growth again after it is replanted. Do not allow the fish to nibble at the tuber under any circumstances.

This is about all of the most important information that this book has on Aponogetons. I hope this helps you.

OP
Stradius011

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! The plants is growing really well.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There are a LOT of different Aponogetons. The ones that I have had and continue to have, have all been beautiful. The one that I still have was bought in a package of bulbs at Walmart and it has large rusty colored kind of heart shaped leaves that are pointed instead of rounded. They are gorgeous but they grow to the top of the tank and have to have the leaves pulled every now and again. They keep putting out more leaves though and the fish love to lay on them as they are so graceful that they kind of wave in the water and rock them.

Rose

They are the rusty colored taller plants to the right of the pictures.

New Threads