Apistos?

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i cant find the care sheet for apistos on Fishlore so i wanted to know optimal water conditions and min tank size for them. also how to breed them,and how many should be in a tank together. i was told at least a breeding pair of apistos can go in a 20g.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have direct experience with apistos (well not yet, but I do have borrellii on order )

From all the research I've done on apistos, they do resemble their full-size counterparts.

The apisto is a dwarf cichlid, and like many cichlids, they are generally South African lake (rift or malawi) or South American. And as such they prefer water parameters of their full size cousins.

Most apistos prefer low pH (up to 6.8) and softer water (up to about 8dH). There are also some species that prefer higher range pH (7.6+) and harder water, and generally prefer warmer water (26-28C, 78-82F)

Species like the borrellii are more 'normal' tropicals, 6.8-7.4pH, 24-28C (75-82F), 3-6dH. Kribensis and GBR also fit into this range, whilst not apistos, they are dwarf cichlids.

But like all cichlids, all apistos can be territorial and somewhat aggressive, so it depends on the species you're looking at.

And yes, a pair in a 20G should be fine (depending on which species, some get bigger than others)

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Kribensis are not apistos. They are African riverine cichlids (African rift lake cichlid refers to fish from Lake Malawi, Tanganyika, or Victoria).

Apistogramma is a pretty large group of species of dwarf cichlids that come from South America. They are a lot more passive than a lot of their larger counterparts, but if your intent is to get a pair to spawn and raise fry, I'd suggest keeping them in a species-only tank if you're going for a 20 gallon. My atahualpa pair are in a 46 gallon bowfront and have beaten up an angel over 3 times their size when spawning.

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Here's a website that is realy helpful. It has profiles on all apistos and most dwarf cichlids. Hope it help's!

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you are really wanting to breed them,you should have 3 or 4 females for 1 male. A 30 gallon tank would be the minimum for this,IMO.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are really wanting to breed them,you should have 3 or 4 females for 1 male. A 30 gallon tank would be the minimum for this,IMO.
+1. The male will chase the female down tiring her badly, stressing her out & generally being a pretty aggressive pest if he doesn't have a few other females to turn his attentions to. If breeding is the purpose then 1 male with a harem in at least 30gal would be the wat to go. You can do a pair in 20gal but it doesn't always work out very well.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I certainly don't disagree, but if you're going for some of the less common species, good luck finding a harem!
It took us long enough just to track down pairs. LOL

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Very true Harpua. Finding Apistos where I am is like looking for rocking horse droppings. Finding a harem is like striking oil & gold at the exact same time.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+2 harpua and Nutter.

Finding apisto's here in Melbourne has proven to be a challenge for me. And finding a LFS prepared to get them in is even harder.

Some are quite common, but generally they've gone 'off the radar' and can be harder to find. I've already pre-paid for my borellii, and hopefully I'll get them soon

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
LOLOLOLOL
Mine were all bought at a club auction as pairs. 2 of the pairs are F0's so it's not like I can just hit up a club member for extras, hehe.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom