Apistogrammas Sp. ..... How Many For My 37 Gallon Tank? Help

1. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

Hi there!

I know this is a super general question. But I wanted to ask because personally I'm fairly confused.

Here, on live aquaria, they have "assorted apistos" for sale. I would have thought different apistos require different tank parameters, tank sizes, etc.?

If I were to purchase from here, exactly how many can I order for my 37 gallon tank? The tank is 30 L x 12 W x 22 H.

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

I'd say probably 3 or 4... ideally one male and the rest females, or all females.

3. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Awh... This makes me sad ): I was hoping for more, but I'm not going to risk it. Thank you for the information regardless. Dwarf Cichlids would be similar in count as well, I'm assuming?

4. kayla.s

Well it depends what dwarf cichlid? You could probably even do 5 apistos, though it depends which ones and their male to female ratio...

5. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Hm.. I guess I might have to toss the cichlid/dwarf cichlid idea and just go a complete different route.. I'm just worried about 5 apistos not taking up as much space as I would hope they would. Thoughts?

6. kayla.s

Unfortunately most dwarf cichlids don't take up much physical space, just a sizeable amount of territorial space. Is there anything already in the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

the tank is brand new! I'm waiting for my stand to come in so i can set it up. nothing in it at all, and nothing im planning on putting in already. besides driftwood!

8. kayla.s

Hmm... so are you wanting only one species of fish in the tank? Cause with cichlids what I do is get a group of them for my 75g and then try design the rest of the stock around them. They might not be the biggest fish but they're still my centerpiece :p

9. OP
    OP
    KaitlynR

Well, I think I'd be okay with doing something like a pair of rams as a centerpiece and then designing around them. Or something similar to that, for instance. If that makes sense?

I'm also looking into either doing a tetra only tank (black skirt, white skirt, black phantom, etc.) or a killifish only tank (clown, lyretails, etc)

10. kayla.s

Yeah killis look pretty cool :D

I had rams in my tank till recently when I switched to apisto cacatuoides "orange flash". I still have one female ram in there with them... I think they get to relatively the same size, but with rams they pair and with some apistos it's more of a harem situation. So you can get away with a few more if there's mostly females.