Apistogramma

kennethdang

Reaction score
71B4F9FB-142B-4ABD-9254-0530E9F5C27B.jpeg
97BE9C26-4EEC-4952-818B-1868A9264F91.jpeg
I bought two apistogrammas from my lfs and was wondering what kind of apistos they are. I believe the 1st one is a female and the 2nd one is male. The male always chases the female if she gets to close to him. She recently lost her yellow color but she seems healthy still. I bought these two with the intention to breed, so will they eventually pair up? One more question, how long will my male take to grow it’s colorful dorsal fin?

Diane 007

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
20190925_225553.jpg You have 2 female apistogramma cacatuoides, the one in the 2nd picture is very stressed. Male's look like this

Matthew7812

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It doesn't seem that your female is taking to your male. This doesn't mean all hope is lost between these two, but it definitely makes it a lot harder to breed. Apisto females can be picky and not take to the male you think is the best fit for whatever reason.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually have to beg to differ a little (although I don't consider myself an expert in any way shape or form), because the 2nd apisto's dorsal definitely looks male to me. The front rays are extended. His ventrals also appear a bit long and he is far less rounded than the female. Again though, I'm not 100% sure.
He is either wild-caught explaining the lack of colour, a mix of different colour strains within one species, extremely stressed, or a mix of those things.

If I am right then they might be different species though...

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Female and male, but two different species. Male looks a lot like a Cockatoo, but not a very good one, not even for a wild.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Female and male, but two different species. Male looks a lot like a Cockatoo, but not a very good one, not even for a wild.
Don't think the male could be cacatuoides because its tail is the wrong shape (should be a lyretail). Other than that it does look like one... maybe it is just young? If they are the same size it should be half the age of the female approximately.
That's the only apisto species I keep so the only one I know anything about though. Think the female also looks like a cacatuoides but I don't know enough about other apisto's to tell if she looks more like a different one.

Please do educate me if I'm wrong :)

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been studying different apistos. please feel free to correct if im wrong.

Male cockatoos should always have the front 2-4 rays longer than the rest. The rays make me think of apistogramma panduro, but the tail color doesn't match.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I see two females .One in bottom pic looks to have laid eggs recently ?
I guess Viejita sp. but that is still pretty broad ...

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The sunken belly of the second is a male identifier. Head shape places it with the Cockatoo types, and the black patch on the lower flank makes it a cacatuoides. Tail shape suggests a young fish, and judging by the sand grains it is sitting on, that would make sense. Female Cockatoos of some of the aquarium bred strains can have a lot of male color, but the abdominal profile is clearly male.

Neither fish has the markings of macmasteri group, which includes veijita. Finding good images of female Apistos for ID purposes is difficult, at best.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom