Apistogramma viejita

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a group of Apistogramma viejita to grow out. They are not beautiful yet, I think they will be

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Real viejita are not common, and some strains of macmasteri are often mislabeled as viejita. I would post pictures at Apistogramma.com to get Mike Wise to look at them for ID verification.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
These are fry that are from the line of Porto gaitan fish in the recent viejita threads there. If I got scammed and they are mac’s then that will disappoint

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mbkemp said:
These are fry that are from the line of Porto gaitan fish in the recent viejita threads there. If I got scammed and they are mac’s then that will disappoint
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that they didn't look like viejita. I have looked at photos of both, read Mike's analysis explaining the differences, went back and still couldn't tell them apart. I was just pointing out that a lot of commercially available macs are often sold as viejita, but it sounds like you have a trustworthy source.

Whenever I get commonly confusing fish, I always practice trust but verify. Saved my caboose more than once.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback. I will be happy either way but I really want them to be what I bought. There is risk buying a group and having them grow out. I enjoy watching them grow

she sent me some from two different spawns. I was really happy about having the possibility of different lines. I am excited to see them grow to the point of Being able the sex them out.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I sure hope they are too Mike, I thought the same thing about them being macs but went ahead and got them anyways, I also have 12 macs about the same size and for right now they seem to look about the same, I would sure hate to wind up with 21 macs.
Do you know if the two spawns are from different bloodlines?

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She told me they were. I hope yours are all doing well!!

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
They eat like little pigs.

I sent her a PM asking who she may have got them from, so I could I could try and see if I can get a little history on them, if I remember right she was selling them as F-1's from wild caught.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She was. I think she got hers from Shane or Miguel. Third hand hearsay

I did something really stupid last night. I was doing my water changes like normal. Came back to look like I always do and my little viejita were about gone. Wobbling and spinning. I felt sick

the only thing that makes sense is I also used some liquid plumber last night to clear a sink drain. I know I did that after water changes and I know only my right hand was in that stuff. I had to somehow contaminate that tank

a little shot of Safe and I still have all nine! Went to bed thinking I had killed my babies somehow.

moral to the story is check and double check. I washed my hand multiple times and still almost killed them. Safe is good stuff

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What is safe?

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is basically a powder form of prime. I think prime is better but safe is cheaper if you are changing a bunch of water

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
viejita Macmasteri

1571517978432.png 1571518092033.png

Macmasteri
1571518249762.png
I think the shape of the spot at the base of the tail has something to do with identification, need to do some digging. Maybe chromedome52 can help with the pictures, I know there not the best but my camera is cheap and crappy.[/B]

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I read a description by mike wise in an old episode of the Krib that indicated the caudal spot was different. They are very similar

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I read the same thing, I need to go back and re-read it, are any of yours starting to get any color? One of the largest ones I got the tail is starting to show some red in it but not much.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a few that are larger. There is some color but that tank is dark enough that nuance is hard

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I know the pic. dont do them justice but looking at mine "Viejita and Mac's." the tail spot is different between the two and as described by Mike Wise on apistogramma.com.

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yep, they're either viejita or macmasteri, for sure! ;) :confused:

mbkemp

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m happy either way. I hope they are what I bought

My biggest one that I assume is a boy has a solid blue edge the length of his Dorsal fin. He is the only one so far. I think that is good news

My babies like brine shrimp

I also think I am about to witness a copella natteri spawning

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mbkemp said:
I also think I am about to witness a copella natteri spawning
That would be very interesting to see. Copella species underwent some "corrective" identification a few years ago, so it would be interesting to see the fish and what kind of leaf or surface they choose to spawn upon. There's a recent report of spawning a close relative, C. callolepis, over at Apistogramma.com. I found it interesting because it is the first time anyone has described the spawning in the same way that I observed from my own fish back in the late 1970s. At the time, I thought my fish were C. nattereri. Apparently it depends on whether you follow Zarske's classification from 2011, or Marinho's reclassification from 2017.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom