Apistogramma Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by funkman262, Apr 13, 2010.

1. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I was thinking that a breeding pair of apistogramma species would look nice in my 45g tank...but I was wondering if I could keep several different female species instead of a breeding pair in order to keep aggression down and have more variety in there. If I were to do that, how many would you recommend that I could keep? Thanks all :)

[​IMG]

More plants on the way

2. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Not to hijack, but you have a really pretty tank so far. I love the driftwood scaping. What substrate are you using?

As you know, I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to throw it out there that the behavior of an Apisto pair is really fascinating and could make up for the fact that you could only keep one pair in your tank. Just a thought. :)

3. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Thank you for the compliment :). I'm so new to this whole aquascaping deal and I've seen some other members' tanks and I feel embarrassed about mine sometimes. I'm still learning and I can't wait to have a tank with a larger surface area to experiment some more. The substrate is flourite black sand. It was a little work to clean but I think it was totally worth it.

I think from what Brian said in my other thread, I should only be doing 2 anyway. I guess at this point I'll just be taking suggestions on which species to go with for a breeding pair. I like the species you told me you have so I'll be sure to keep those in mind ;)

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

With most Apisto species it is actually better to keep several females with each male. The trouble you will have is that you would need to totally change your tank layout. Each female needs to have thier own territory to breed in & defend whcih is where the new layout becomes needed. The male will be allowed to come & go from each females territory as he pleases but the territory will be defended against other females.

I honestly don't know how you would go with just keeping one female of a few different species but I think it would be the same deal with setting up a territory for each of them to defend.

5. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

Thanks Nutter. I'm starting to believe I just don't have the space for more than 2 apistos, whether I go with a breeding pair, just males, just females or whatever. They're just such great looking fish that I want to have as many as possible...but I'd rather do what's best for the tank and only get 2.

6. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

You have nothing to be embarrassed about man! That's really going to fill in nice once you get more plants in there. For what it's worth, I've had the same tank, medium light planted, and I know it is NOT an easy tank to aquascape. Aside from hex tanks, you've pretty much taken the most difficult route into aquascaping that you could, and you've done a great job! Pat yourself on the back. :)

Since your tank is so tall, have you considered giant vals or some kind of hygro as a background plant? I did the hygro with mine, and here is what it looked like in case you are interested... it hurt to sell the setup, but I had to do it to move down here, lol!

Attached Files:

7. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Given the stock that is already in the tank I think it would be wise for you to settle for just a pair. A pair of A. Nijsseni or A. Borellii would probalby work ok as a pair. Of cours you could go with a pair of Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams instead.

8. funkman262Well Known MemberMember

I've got some rotala and ambulia on the way (along with some stargrass and java moss). I'm hoping those would look good when they grow tall in the back. I'm sure as the years pass by I'll have experience with many different tanks and all different types of plants and I'll eventually create something that I'm really proud of. For now, I'll just be happy with keeping the fish and plants alive :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice