Apistogramma Stocking

bree78

How many Apistogramma cichlids can I have in a 20 gallon long ? Local privately owned fish store owner said 6. There are no other fish in the tank and yes it's cycled.

carsonsgjs

I don’t think you can keep 6 in that size - there just isn’t enough room for their own territories. I’d have said a pair would be more comfortable.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Which apistogramma species ?

Some of the smaller species can be breed in a 20 but it would require another tank for the fry.

I my experience a single pair is safer in small tanks. But you can’t guarantee a pair just by buying male and female. Often you have to let them choose.

I don’t think you can keep just males or just females in any tank of that size or even a bit bigger.

We really need to know which species bree78 ?

Upvote 0

bree78

I don’t think you can keep 6 in that size - there just isn’t enough room for their own territories. I’d have said a pair would be more comfortable.
I have a cycled 33 long . Would that work? Densely planted . Caves. Rocks driftwood.
Which apistogramma species ?

Some of the smaller species can be breed in a 20 but it would require another tank for the fry.

I my experience a single pair is safer in small tanks. But you can’t guarantee a pair just by buying male and female. Often you have to let them choose.

I don’t think you can keep just males or just females in any tank of that size or even a bit bigger.

We really need to know which species bree78 ?
apistogramma agassizii
I have a cycled 33 long . Would that work? Densely planted . Caves. Rocks driftwood.

apistogramma agassizii
I ordered 6 and paid for them because he told me 6 was a good number. He will have to refund me and keep some then

Upvote 0

Ouse

Try not to listen to your pet shop. They want to sell you more, as it means more money comes to them. Six apistos in such a small space will be gory...

If you’re using the 33 long instead, may I ask what the dimensions of the 33 long are?

Upvote 0

MacZ

He will have to refund me and keep some then
Yes, definitely.

In a 20: A pair or just a single male.
In a 33: 1 male, 2 females.

Period.

Upvote 0

bree78

Try not to listen to your pet shop. They want to sell you more, as it means more money comes to them. Six apistos in such a small space will be gory...

If you’re using the 33 long instead, may I ask what the dimensions of the 33 long are?
48 x 12x 12
Yes, definitely.

In a 20: A pair or just a single male.
In a 33: 1 male, 2 females.

Period.
Okay, hopefully we can sex these. I have 2 kribensis cichlids in another tank and they chase each other a lot. Not sure of sex.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Chasing is normal among cichlids. The behaviour prior to a chase and after it ends helps with sexing, but you could also post the kribs in the ID subforum for sexing.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

+ 1 for getting 6….
-1 on the seller for implying thats a good number for the 20 long, long term

get the 6. Keep the first pair that forms, sell the other 4

It’s so much better to start with a group. IMO, you get much more compatible pairs when they are allowed to choose

Upvote 0

MacZ

That can work. I'd be wary, though.
But agree definitely to reduce once it's clear what is what.

Upvote 0

bree78

Chasing is normal among cichlids. The behaviour prior to a chase and after it ends helps with sexing, but you could also post the kribs in the ID subforum for sexing.
Okay I will because I'm not certain if they are male or female. Thank you.

Upvote 0

TClare

Probably for the majority of cichlids (American anyway) the best way to get a pair is to get a group of juveniles and let them pair up themselves, but you have to be able to rehome or relocate the rest. When I tried this with Apistogrammas I managed to get all males though!

Upvote 0

bree78

Probably for the majority of cichlids (American anyway) the best way to get a pair is to get a group of juveniles and let them pair up themselves, but you have to be able to rehome or relocate the rest. When I tried this with Apistogrammas I managed to get all males though!
That was what he said. To get 6 and let them pair up. Maybe because I have 7 tanks he assumes I can move to different tanks in the home . They are juveniles that he ordered. I'm very excited they are so beautiful as far as the pictures I see online

Upvote 0

MacZ

You probably shouldn't have left that out. Appeared like he and you both meant keeping 6 individuals longterm.

Upvote 0

bree78

You probably shouldn't have left that out. Appeared like he and you both meant keeping 6 individuals longterm.
I am only assuming that was his thinking. He just said get 6 and put them in a 20 long.

Upvote 0

MacZ

I hate it when LFS employees do that. :facepalm:

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

I am only assuming that was his thinking. He just said get 6 and put them in a 20 long.
While his explanation is lacking, his thought process is excellent. I see so many beginner Apistogramma keepers caught up in buying “pairs”…..which aren’t actually pairs ( just a M & F), which ultimately result in having one live, and one dead Apistogramma

Upvote 0

bree78

That was what he said. To get 6 and let them pair up. Maybe because I have 7 tanks he assumes I can move to different tanks in the home . They are juveniles that he ordered. I'm very excited they are so beautiful as far as the pictures I see online
What happens if all of mine are male ?

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

What happens if all of mine are male ?
Then the LFS owner owes you one…

With the domestic strains, I wouldn’t be as concerned about this outcome.

It’s the WC fish you have to be careful with.

I usually try and get 15 fish to end up with a pair when dealing with a wilds. Sex ratios can be pretty skewed by the time the water is low enough to collect many of them

Upvote 0

bree78

Then the LFS owner owes you one…

With the domestic strains, I wouldn’t be as concerned about this outcome.

It’s the WC fish you have to be careful with.

I usually try and get 15 fish to end up with a pair when dealing with a wilds. Sex ratios can be pretty skewed by the time the water is low enough to collect many of them
Okay. Off topic but I'm sure you've dealt with ich before? Well if so could you tell me if I should do a large water change and then put the carbon back in as yesterday was my last day of treatment?
Thanks in advance ☺

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Regardless of the instructions on the back of the bottle of ich medication it is recommended practice to continue treatment for 10 days minimum after the last spots are seen.

Upvote 0

bree78

Regardless of the instructions on the back of the bottle of ich medication it is recommended practice to continue treatment for 10 days minimum after the last spots are seen.
Okay thank you very much. First time I've ever dealt with a fish disease. It's all new to me .

Upvote 0

Amatyi1

How many Apistogramma cichlids can I have in a 20 gallon long ? Local privately owned fish store owner said 6. There are no other fish in the tank and yes it's cycled.
I ran across a site the other day which helps you with stocking your aquarium by giving you warnings and other helpful info. You put in your aquarium dimensions and fish and it tells you if they are too many or which ones get along with others.
http://aqadvisor.com/

Upvote 0

MacZ

I ran across a site the other day which helps you with stocking your aquarium by giving you warnings and other helpful info. You put in your aquarium dimensions and fish and it tells you if they are too many or which ones get along with others.
http://aqadvisor.com/
The site is still riddled with errors and mistakes. It brings more people here to ask if the info is right (which it often isn't) than the other way round. I'd be very wary of any results given there and get a second opinion.

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

I agree with MacZ Aqadvisor is “ riddled with errors “
But I write this post Amatyi1 so you hear it from a second person.

Upvote 0

TClare

Agreed, it can be fun to play around with but take it with a pinch of salt and use more reliable sources to research your fish. I think it is based mainly on bioload and filtration capacity and maybe if a species of fish gets big enough to eat another. But it does not take into account the type of environment each fish requires, behaviour or the area of tank it occupies, and as stated previously it has plenty of mistaken information.

Upvote 0

Amatyi1

The site is still riddled with errors and mistakes. It brings more people here to ask if the info is right (which it often isn't) than the other way round. I'd be very wary of any results given there and get a second opinion.
Oh absolutely. I never believe in getting all of my information from one place I just use it as a tool but I also believe you should research each fish species that you put in the tank while using the tool to check. I just noticed that this site was a little more accurate then most but there will never be an algorithm that would be completely accurate for stocking aquariums. There is too many side factors that algorithms miss.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
sillylittlefishey
Replies
Views
FishDin