Apistogramma panduro Tankmates

zca114

Hello all. I have some Apistogramma panduro in my 20 gallon long and would like to keep either chili rasboras or ember tetras with them in the tank as dither fish/tankmates. I am trying to know which will be best in the long run. I have found information suggesting that embers could be a problem if my panduros start spawning but for some reason the chilis may not be a problem. Is there any reason for this?

Also, I am a little interested in potentially getting a dwarf orange crayfish as well in my tank, but I am seeing a number of mixed reviews on how aggressive they could be towards any lower-third dwelling fish. Are they usually pretty peaceful or would my fish suffer?

Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated!

MacZ

Considering how big the mouths of A. panduro are, both species are not really suitable. Better look into bigger pencilfish like N. eques or N. beckfordi, or tetras in the size order of cardinals or black neons.

I have found information suggesting that embers could be a problem if my panduros start spawning but for some reason the chilis may not be a problem. Is there any reason for this?
Tetras tend to eat fry. That's why people advise against them when you want to breed the Apistos.

Also, I am a little interested in potentially getting a dwarf orange crayfish as well in my tank, but I am seeing a number of mixed reviews on how aggressive they could be towards any lower-third dwelling fish. Are they usually pretty peaceful or would my fish suffer?
Just don't. Apistogramma are diurnal and sleep on the bottom at night. A bigger specimen of crayfish may try to prey on the cichlids (and at least stress them out with nightly disturbance, smaller specimens might end up as a meal for the Apistogramma. Besides, A. panduro like their water really soft. Most crustaceans and snails won't do well in their preferred paramaters.

Generally: If you want to breed the Apistogramma you can at best add some pencils, which will not prey on the fry. If you want a community-like setup you better only get a single male Apisto.

Depending on your goals the choices are pretty clear.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Harvster10
  • Question
Replies
Views