Apistogramma Panduro - Did They Sell Me The Wrong Gender!

Marco Rodriguez

Hi

I was supposed to buy a pair of Apistogramma Panduro. But now that I’m looking closer. I’m scared I have 2 FM. I may just go buy a male as well and let them decide but can someone tell me if this is a Male or female? The other is definitely a female. Dark eye lines + a dark not on her side this one I’m never sure sometimes I see a dot sometimes I don’t. The tail looks more male so does the eye line but the dot makes me confused. I also rarely see them swim together which makes me skeptical. His/her tail was a little bullied at LFS still recovering

c289694e2194a3ffec0f784089d2466b.jpg

TexasDomer

chromedome52

JeffK

pistogramma panduro

chromedome52

I would say it could be a male, but it's not in good enough condition to sex with reasonable certainty.

Marco Rodriguez

chromedome52 said:
I would say it could be a male, but it's not in good enough condition to sex with reasonable certainty.
Ya I went through the pictures online. He’s starting to show more color as he gets more used to the tank and his surroundings. I'm pretty sure he’s a male now. Thanks!

chromedome52 do you have any advice for keeping them? I know I have to down the light strength and I am going to darken the substrate maybe make it sand.

chromedome52

The male should be noticeably larger than the female, and I get the impression that this one isn't. Make sure she has some caves, and the substrate definitely needs to be finer than what is in the photo. The only pair I ever got had problems with my water hardness, it needs to be fairly soft and quite acid for breeding.

Marco Rodriguez

chromedome52 said:
The male should be noticeably larger than the female, and I get the impression that this one isn't. Make sure she has some caves, and the substrate definitely needs to be finer than what is in the photo. The only pair I ever got had problems with my water hardness, it needs to be fairly soft and quite acid for breeding.
Ya this is my first pair of them. Awesome I’m going tomorrow to get the things I need. He actually is slightly larger they are both young still I bought them yesterday. There are 2 caves right now and some driftwood to hide behind. I’ll find finer substrate and a hardness testing kit. If my water is too hard how would I fix that? My tap is 7.8 but I keep my tank water at 6.8

Marco Rodriguez

chromedome52

Gave them a new home they’re adjusting now. Does it look male? I think so just want a second opinion

5353a9351ed76ca59f2493d880197147.jpg

7b238902efc0b1ba282846da83a81489.jpg

chromedome52

Yep, the dorsal is turning blue - male for certain.

Marco Rodriguez

chromedome52 said:
Yep, the dorsal is turning blue - male for certain.
Awesome thank you

Top Bottom