Apistogramma macmasteri raising fry Question

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by TriciaE, Apr 17, 2010.

1. TriciaENew MemberMember

I have had a pair of macmasteri for about 5 months now. They have been doing very well. They have breed twice and each time the female will protect the eggs and the fry for a few days after they hatch then the male begins to chase her away. He will take over raising the fry. This time he has become much more aggressive in protecting the fry from the female. She even has an open wound on the top of her head. Is this behavior normal for macmasteri? If anyone has any insight into this let me know!

Thank you!

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello TriciaE and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Hopefully someone that has experience with this type of fish will help you out before too long.

I hope you enjoy the site!
    KEn

3. btate617Well Known MemberMember

If this is happening each time they spawn you can do one of two things. First if you have another tank you could simply move them female out and let the male do his thing. Or if you do not have another tank you could always put in a divider to seperate the two.
    Those would be the easiest solutions.

Brian

4. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

5. TriciaENew MemberMember

I am soon going to be upgrading to a 55 gallon tank so I hope that this may relieve some of the stress if he continues to attack the female. I have spoken to my local pet store I purchased the fish from and they said that typically they will share the responsibilities of raising the fry.

6. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Most fish will normally share the duties, but once in awhile you get a pair where one decides it is in charge and boots the other away.

Good luck.

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice