Apistogramma caucatoities spawn

jackywacky

I have pair of apistos, and they just spawned, not sure if they are fertile. it is their first spawn but the female is guarding them, might take them out to raise them, what should I do

MacZ

what should I do
Nothing. The mother knows what to do. Get artemia nauplii ready for when the fry are free swimming in a few days.

Do you know what to do with the fry? Is this planned or not?

jackywacky

kinda planned, but didn't expect them to breed this fast, only been a week since putting in the fish
do frozen brine shrimp work because I have those or do I need live ones

KeeperOFnano

Leaving her and babies alone is key. Even just a week with mom, then either remove the parents from that tank, or if you have a tank setup (40gb would be a decent start) then remove free-swimming fry to a grow out tank. This may produce problems with the fry but if its water same as tank they were spawned in this should avoid loss. Should.

You may even have to remove the male as they can want to spawn again and cause the female to eat her young. Not in every case since the female Apisto is a very good protector and rearer of her young. But we have lost fry to this happening.

Using micro foods like Hikari 1st bites, or even fresh or frozen bbs will do fine. Even crushed pellet foods using a egg baster to spot feed.

Don't remove mom and young, as this may cause her to go into a feeding frenzy and eat all her young. We did this years ago and lost over 50 fry, the mom just went insane.

Dwarf Cichlid's are great parents, but in the end they are not 100% safe. Especially if the male wants to go again. Usually every 2 weeks.

We've used a siphon to round up free swimming fry and moved them to a grow out 40gb once. No loss.

Highly suggest growing them out in a bare bottom tank (adamant wc) or with just substrate, sand works well and they will appreciate rummaging in it.
Limit decorations and plants as this will cause them to fight over territory more. Floating plants should elp with nitrates etc and be very adamant but not excessive on your wc's

Great stuff! I'm sure you will enjoy watching them grow and reveal their personalities. Be warned, when looking for m/f...they are a species known to have sleeper males...can make for a very surprising discovery at some later point!

jackywacky

could i remove the male from the tank when she spawns so she can care for her own spawn herself?

KeeperOFnano

Yes that should not cause any problems as long as they've done the deed lol.
She will focus more on them and you can decide when to remove her or fry etc at your leisure. Well with more time lol. We like to wait to see them appear, mom will proudly take them out (usually before dawn) and show them about.

Once the fry are out and about free swimming, mom will hover over and send signals to them etc bring them for a walk around. Great to watch.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
benjmin
Replies
Views
JB92668
Replies
Views