Apistogramma Cacatuoides Starterskit?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Visiax, Apr 15, 2018.

1. V

Visiax New Member Member

Dear all,

I'm planning to set up a fish tank. My goal is to have a couple of Apistogramma Cacatuoides & some other fish to keep them company.

What would be the perfect starterskit for this?

I'm living in an appartment, so looking for something compact/high-performance

Many thanks for helping out!

2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

20 long tanks are my favorite.

Heavily plant it with tons of caves and hiding areas.

Yo7 can have a pair of the Apistogrammas and a school of Harlequin rasboras.

3. OP
    OP
    V

Visiax New Member Member

Many thanks!
    Do you have a specific tank / kit you would recommend that's easy to maintain & high quality?

4. 75g Discus Tank

No kit, but a 20 long tank should be enough.

5. OP
    OP
    V

Visiax New Member Member

20 gallon, or what do you mean with long?

Thanks!

6. 75g Discus Tank

20 gallon tanks are either tall, long, or custom.

A 20 log has the dimensions of 30 1/4 x 12 1/2 x 12 3/4 (in)

7. Nataku

Nataku Well Known Member Member

A 20 long or a 29 gallon (same foot print as a 20 long just taller) would be a good tank size for a pair or harem of cockatoo cichlids.

Make sure you've also got a heater, a filter of sufficient size (you can never overfilter, so 200-290 gph is recommended minimum so find yourself a filter that does 300 gph and you should be good), an air pump and airstone or bubble wand.
    Substrate, a fine sand is recommended as they dig a bit. If you want cost effective, pool filter sand (white) or black diamond blasting sand (black) are good options.

Gat yourself a decent light and some live beginner aquarium plants like jungle valisneria, amazon sword, guppy grass or hornwort, dwarf salvinia or or dwarf water lettuce. Your fish will thank you. They help keep the water cleaner, are beautiful to look at and goce your fish a more natural environment to enjoy.

Fish to go alongside them could include a school of tetras like black neons, rummynose, silvertips, lemons or red eye tetras.
    You could also do a school of bottom dwelling corydoras like c. Aeneus or c. Sterbai to go along with the a. Ca

8. OP
    OP
    V

Visiax New Member Member

Many thanks!

9. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Cannot wait to see how this turns out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice