Apistogramma Breeding Tank Setup Questions

TheNewguy89
Recently got a new 29 gallon and thinking about setting it up for some apisto's . I'm thinking one male and two female . With caves at each end of tank for females .it will be planted moderately and will have plenty of get aways . I know they patroll the bottom of the tank mostly and was unsure of and if I should have a species only tank or if I could add some top water swimmers in .. I'm not sure . But would this be sufficient for the 3 apisto's to breed ? And not fight lol. Thanks ahead of time for the response!! Have a great day!!

AquaticJ
Should be fine. You can definitely add some schooling fish like Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras.

TheNewguy89
Should be fine. You can definitely add some schooling fish like Rummynose or Cardinal Tetras.
Ok awesome thanks !! I had some kind of idea that I could I just don't want fighting or to be over crowded for the apisto's! But I will most defiantly keep that in mind !!

Sarah73
Ok awesome thanks !! I had some kind of idea that I could I just don't want fighting or to be over crowded for the apisto's! But I will most defiantly keep that in mind !!
Make sure if you add other fish with the apisto's that they are mid or top dwellers.

TheNewguy89
Make sure if you add other fish with the apisto's that they are mid or top dwellers.
Noted ! That's what I might do idk ill probably wind up makeing it just for the apisto's!!and thanks again !!

Sarah73
Noted ! That's what I might do idk ill probably wind up makeing it just for the apisto's!!and thanks again !!
Welcome you seem so happy

Jellibeen
I have read that top dwellers helo apistos feel more secure, since having small fish actively swimming above them assures them there are no large predators around. I noticed a big difference in how active my boy is after I added a zebra danio school. So yes, yoy can definitely add a school of top dwellers! Your fish may even feel safer.

TheNewguy89
I have read that top dwellers helo apistos feel more secure, since having small fish actively swimming above them assures them there are no large predators around. I noticed a big difference in how active my boy is after I added a zebra danio school. So yes, yoy can definitely add a school of top dwellers! Your fish may even feel safer.
Awesome and thanks !! I will for sure add some top dwellers once I find some I like!

Jellibeen
The only issue I have had is that the zebras get first pick at food, and Gob isn’t the best at eating. He’s slower. I think my zebras are getting fat.

TheNewguy89
Welcome you seem so happy
I'm always happy talking about or messing with my tanks and fish . I really enjoy it! And take pleasure in the hobby ! Learning new things about old stuff and vise versa. Lol if you go through life always thinking about what might be wrong or the things that are bad and never look at what could come of it, or we never see the little things that make life enjoyable than what is life ? You have to enjoy it even in bad times .things go wrong so they can go right .So I try to be happy and live life all the time and not just the enjoyable times ...

O
The only issue I have had is that the zebras get first pick at food, and Gob isn’t the best at eating. He’s slower. I think my zebras are getting fat.
Ok so a few top dwellers lol I'll mess around and see what works !

Ohio Mark
I'm following with interest as I am new to apistos. I have two male borelliI (in separate tanks) and one female borelliI at the moment, but I'm hooked and want more.

TheNewguy89
I'm following with interest as I am new to apistos. I have two male borelliI (in separate tanks) and one female borelliI at the moment, but I'm hooked and want more.
When I first saw and learned a little about them I wanted to own a pair if not more. Going to take a while because I want to grow out my plant be for I add my fish .

Ohio Mark
I was hooked after reading about them and seeing pictures online.

So when I placed my online order, I was excited to get them and see them in real life... Then the fun began. I was sent two males. I very quickly learned 2 males in a 29 gallon was not a good idea. The company offered to send a replacement female -- which I greatly appreciated -- but she got so intimidated she hid all the time (or for the week or so the 3 apistos were in there) and got thin. I rearranged everything in the tank etc. and still had a lot of aggression, so I finally took one male out and dumped him in with my Bolivian Rams. He is doing okay in there, but I notice him hiding a lot. I've seriously thought of setting my extra 10 gallon back up just for him. They are beautiful fish!

You are smart to let the plants grow in first. I've noticed that plants & caves are where they like to hang out the most.

Good luck!

yukondog
I use dithers in all my breeding tanks, for me a couple of guppy's in each tank works. I try to use a male and female that way when the guppy has baby's the apisto's have something to snack on.

Mark I have mine in a ten gal. and they do fine.

Ohio Mark
Yes, I should add I have mid or top level fish in both tanks. I am amazed, though, how many baby guppies survive my Bolivian rams!

yukondog, you just sold me on the 10 gallon for my extra male! Now... I need to get him a mate.

TheNewguy89
Hope it works for u !! And yea I have two caves in there and will have a bunch of plants so I hope they like it . They should ... But I'll keep posting pics monthly after I get it planted for sure !

yukondog
I like caves and planted heavily, what type of apisto's are you looking at getting?

TheNewguy89
I like caves and planted heavily, what type of apisto's are you looking at getting?
Apistogramma cacatuoides

TheNewguy89
Would red eye tetra make good take mates for the apisto's?? They stay mid to top level ?? I'm going to add some top dwellers also I just have 9 red eye's. Sometimes rarely I do see the red eyed tetras kind of low in the tank. Like just as they swim across sometimes they might get low but normally they stayed right in the middle of the tank...

yukondog
Is this tank a community tank or breeder?

TheNewguy89
Is this tank a community tank or breeder?
Idk lol I'm impatient. But I don't see y they wouldn't breed with other fish in there ...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
QCAquaholic
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
Boltaction
Replies
Views