Apistogramma breeding/ selling to LFS

jackywacky

ok so if i were to breed apistos and sold them to an LFS how much would the give per fish, 1-2 in fish, but they also never have them, thanks

MacZ

Ask the store. Only they can tell you.

Local availability from other breeders, demand from customers and your fishes quality all influency the price you will get.

If you are talking about domestic strains of A. cacatuoides, A. agassizii, A. borellii or A. macmasteri, expect wholesale price. In the EU below 5€ each (retail 15,- a piece), US accordingly and likely lower.

If you are looking to earn some money with the domestic strains you will have to invest into at least 2 tanks for breeding, 1-3 holding tanks in case the breeders have to be separated and 1 or more growout tanks.
With domestic fish you will either need a stupid buyer or go for mass to break even in my experience.

As I have bred fish for a decade: Either go fully professional or spare yourself the stress.

TClare

I can usually give fish I have bred to my local store, but just for some credit, so it helps to get some extra food, plants, fertilizer or whatever I need at the time. I only breed occasionally and on a small scale, and just because I find it interesting, definitely not thinking of making any profit. As MacZ says you would have do things on quite a big scale to make any money. If you just breed a batch of Apistogramma fry you might get 0.50 cents or a dollar each, maybe. But anyway the best thing would be to ask at the places you would think of selling them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cap2284
Replies
Views
benjmin
  • Question
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies