Apistogramma Borellii, Male And Female?

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I got two borellii opal juveniles and think I have a male and female. Can anybody confirm? On second thought, the male doesn't have red spots on his face. Are they even opal? @chromedome52 , hope you can help.
They have only been in the tank for 2 days and weren't too happy with the camera.
20180512_102302.jpg
20180512_102443.jpg

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to go with two males because of body shape, fin shape, and similar looks between the two (beyond males and females similarities).

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh really, bummer
I thought the one was a female because of the black line through the eye, the black streaks on her ventral fins and the shorter and rounder fins.
Just another couple of picture to make sure (and just because they are so pretty
20180512_120949.jpg
20180512_120740.jpg

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Piaelliott said:
Oh really, bummer
I thought the one was a female because of the black line through the eye, the black streaks on her ventral fins and the shorter and rounder fins.
Just another couple of picture to make sure (and just because they are so pretty View attachment 437611 View attachment 437612
Less dominant males will display as close to female colors to avoid getting picked on/killed. The concave abdomen is my biggest marker here.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
Less dominant males will display as close to female colors to avoid getting picked on/killed. The concave abdomen is my biggest marker here.
I understand the color but what about the rounder fins? The fish might be skinny, was sitting at the LFS for a while.
I just hope they'll still get along when growing up

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Piaelliott said:
I understand the color but what about the rounder fins? The fish might be skinny, was sitting at the LFS for a while.
I just hope they'll still get along when growing up
I've had a male apisto that look exactly like the female in the tank because of the more dominant male in the tank (that male was rather aggressive), it took taking him out and placing him into another tank for him to start showing male characteristics (extended fins, colors in the fins, and size).

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Mcasella said:
I've had a male apisto that look exactly like the female in the tank because of the more dominant male in the tank (that male was rather aggressive), it took taking him out and placing him into another tank for him to start showing male characteristics (extended fins, colors in the fins, and size).
I'll keep watching them and hope they'll get along. How annoying, how can one even find a pair when they are so sneaky? Those were the only ones at the store.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Piaelliott said:
I'll keep watching them and hope they'll get along. How annoying, how can one even find a pair when they are so sneaky? Those were the only ones at the store.
Buying a larger group is one way, that way when you can the pair you can sell the others, or by buying a pair already sexed (which can be expensive in its own right).

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They are lovely fish and if they get along, I'll be happy. They are very curious and come up as soon as they see me, very interactive and curious.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If anyone is interested, I am quite sure one is a female. I went to feed them and she came storming out from behind the rocks and plants and was very yellow,her eyes were gleaming devilishly
She chased everybody away, grabbed a bite and vanished again.
Now I feel bad since I didn't offer any caves. Hope they are not too upset. I can't see what's going on behind the rocks.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ordinarily, females show bright yellow all the time in this species. However, sometimes they may stay "colored down" so that the male doesn't bug her about spawning, especially if you only have a pair. I am unsure about labeling them as true Opal; I suspect they are probably another recently imported population, which are often all labelled as "Opal". However, they are not common domestic strain, as the male lacks the yellow head, and shows some spangling on the cheeks which domestics lack.

They don't really need a cave, just a hiding place. I've had borellii spawn in the corner behind a UGF uplift tube, and on the side of a rock even when there were caves available.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I figured they weren't true opals since there was no red on the male.
They are really lovely fish though, very interactive and always out and about when I look at them. Not fearful at all, they swim around my fingers, I was thinking they are tank raised.

The female is still not as bright yellow as I have seen pictures of other females. But her eyes glow bright orange now.

I bought them as apistogramma opal.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
At least you got borellii, it could have been worse - you might have ended up with Steel Blues (which are thought to be a hybrid).

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just an update about a year later

They are definitely a pair. They had bred a couple of times to no avail but I just remembered the thread just now. The picture is really horrible, algae to boot
IMG_20190531_155710.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom