Apistogramma borellii breeding questions.

JJBriant

Hello all, so I am moving my fish from my 29 gallon to a 37 gallon this weekend and I have a single male Apistogramma borelliI and I want to get him a couple females and see if I can get them to spawn. My lfs rarely gets them in and they sell for about 20 dollars so I figure I could make about 5 bucks each for them. I am just looking for advice on how to spawn them successfully. They would be in the tank with 10 neon tetras, 10 zebrA danios, and 3 honey gouramis. My water is 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrate is usually between 20-40 ppm. My water is moderately hard as I live in Texas. I know I want to plant the tank, but I read they like sand so I am wondering what would be the best substrate as well. Sorry I am all over the place, but thank you In advance for any tips!

Amazoniantanklvr

They usually won't spawn in hard water. Use peat or andler cones. They usually won't successfully spawn in community tanks. You may be able to make $5 on here or aquabid but good luck with an LFS. To gain an LFS trust sell them for cheap. Then once the LFS realizes you have quality fish (people rnt bring them back) you can slowly raise the price. A. BorelliI fry grow painfully slow. U can sell them at 6 months at the earliest. I was going to breed them bud decided against them because of hoe slow they grow. I just use root tabs in my sand. U can also use liquid ferts.

If u eant to breed them u can put a pair in a 10 gallon or trio in a 20 gallon all by themselvs

JJBriant

They usually won't spawn in hard water. Use peat or andler cones. They usually won't successfully spawn in community tanks. You may be able to make $5 on here or aquabid but good luck with an LFS. To gain an LFS trust sell them for cheap. Then once the LFS realizes you have quality fish (people rnt bring them back) you can slowly raise the price. A. BorelliI fry grow painfully slow. U can sell them at 6 months at the earliest. I was going to breed them bud decided against them because of hoe slow they grow. I just use root tabs in my sand. U can also use liquid ferts.
If u eant to breed them u can put a pair in a 10 gallon or trio in a 20 gallon all by themselvs
Okay I will try adding some cones and leaf litter. Even if they don’t spawn I think he would probably be happier with some lady friends haha. I’m hoping adding some females might help bring his color out. I’ve had him for about 4 days and he still is all gray. I’m wondering if softening up the water and adding females will bring the color out

I went ahead and ordered two pieces of cholla wood and some Indian almond leaves. I will put those in the new tank to soften the water a bit.

yukondog

I have breed a fare amount of them and they grow very slow, they seem to be one of the easier one to breed, they may breed in your water but the eggs may not hatch. I live in N.W. Fl. and my water is dead soft, you might try adding rain water or use peat in your tank to help.

JJBriant

I have breed a fare amount of them and they grow very slow, they seem to be one of the easier one to breed, they may breed in your water but the eggs may not hatch. I live in N.W. Fl. and my water is dead soft, you might try adding rain water or use peat in your tank to help.
I ordered some Indian almond leaves and cholla wood. I think I will also order some alder cones or something of the sort to soften my water. And I also love the black water look so that’s nice. Do you think this would work?

imba

How long would it take for a young borelli to reach maturity normally?

yukondog

It took mine about 8 mo. or better. good luck

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies
Views
yukondog
Replies
Views
Amazoniantanklvr