Apistogramma Borelli Internal Bleeding? With Pics Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by emmett1180, Mar 31, 2010.

1. e

emmett1180 New Member Member

Hello All

I just noticed today that my Apistogramma Borelli has a red blotch on this side just under his gills. Its just on one side.

The red stripes on his head is normal, just incase anyone is confused.:D

He seems to be acting normal and is eating/swimming ok so far.

It looks like its bleeding from inside...i did a 50% water change today as soon as i noticed it, until i know how to treat it. Thought the fresh water couldnt do any harm.

Does anyone know what it is and how to treat it?

I have Methlyene Blue, King British Bacteria control and Melafix.

Many thanks
    Emmett:(

Attached Files:

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh my ! poor thing....can you post your current readings for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates? and what kit are you using for ammonia/nitrites? looks like either some busted blood vessels (ammonia issue) or maybe it got stuck in something? I hope things are ok!!!!

3. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Wow!! Nice Borelli Red Face!!
    Never seen a mark like that on ones side...does it look swollen or damaged?? How is his behavior??

4. OP
    OP
    e

emmett1180 New Member Member

Hi thanks for the replys, i forgot and did a water change last night before taking any readings.

It seems normal looking, not swollen. Eating and swimming ok...i did notice it seemed to be opening and closing mouth more than normal.

Def looks like internal no cuts or marks from grazing on something.

5. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Your pH seems way too high for this species. 6.5 seems the safest target to aim at.

Some web sites state that they live OK within the 6.5-7.5 range, but I wouldn't go by that. A. borelli, as most Apistogrammas, comes from soft/acidic water, meaning 5dGH as maximum hardness and pH sligtly under 7.0

Maybe your tap water has chloramines and your water conditioner treats only chlorine? I have no idea but it certainly doesn't look good.

Hope you can solve this.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

6. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what are the current readings? the rapid breathing could be ammonia/nitrites as well....I so hope he does ok!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice