Apistogramma atahualpa- surprise spawn!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Tank Photos' started by harpua2002, Mar 24, 2010.

1. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Found some free swimmers yesterday! We were going to try to move the pair to their own tank before they spawned, but apparently they couldn't wait for the fishroom to be finished. :p

587.jpg

And here's a vid:

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations!!!

3. djbrist

djbrist Valued Member Member

Super cool. What do think are their chances? I got room for a couple of juvies when you sell. ;)

Dave

4. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

I honestly couldn't tell you what their chances are in the community tank. The pair will be moving to their own tank within a few days and I'm sure they will try again soon. I will definitely be raising the fry from these two! They are F0's. ;D

5. djbrist

djbrist Valued Member Member

Sweet, I sure wish you both the best with this endeavor of yours!! It will be nice to order from you. Sis is in Acworth, so a visit to your retail will be requested next trip down.

Your lil mama reminds me of my departed cacatuoide mother, glowing so gold.

6. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Finally got a pic of the male!
    597.jpg

7. a

acea091489 Valued Member Member

Congrats. : )

8. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

More pics from tonight!
    639.jpg

641.jpg

644.jpg

9. bolivianbaby

I can't figure out who's cuter: the parents or the fry. I just want to pinch mom/dad's little yellow cheeks:;bmu

Please, please, please tell me you'll be selling them when they're old enough. I'm getting on an apisto kick. Probably since I'm out of room for the larger cichlids:)

10. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

As soon as I can raise fry to a size where I can sell them, that is the plan! I'd love for you to get some of them. These are such cool fish!

BTW... I have a feeling my F0 apisto panduro pair might get in the mood when I move them into their own tank.... which should be TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!!!!!! ;D

11. bolivianbaby

Aaaahhhh!!!! This is so exciting!

12. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

Promise me if I have panduros that grow out, you'll get some. They are the prettiest apistos we have IMO! :)

13. bolivianbaby

Absolutely! I promise and cross my heart:) I'll make sure I keep room in a tank for them.

14. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

How long have you had them??

4 out of 4 species I have had spawned within 2 to 3 weeks after after getting them. It seems apistos are good for that...a change in water conditions and they spawn.
    Cockatoo's, Borelli Red face, Borelli Opals and Baenschi Inka 50's. Baetiniata started nesting but unfortunately I lost the female.

15. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Congratulations partner!

One specimen in the pair I had died (I couldn't tell male from female) for no apparent reason. A few of the fry made it and are (slowly) growing in the main tank. Here's a pic of one of the juveniles with a Cardinal Tetra near by.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Attached Files:

16. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

I'm getting ready to set up our new tank with a couple of pair of fish similar to these... I might get some from you...

17. OP
    OP
    harpua2002

I got this pair at the auction about 3 weeks ago, so I guess it did take about 2 weeks for them to do the deed. ;D

18. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

deed done now feed them some steroids n sell them to us lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice