Apistogramma Agassizii Tank Size

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Ed204, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    So, I have a spare 10 gallon laying around in my storage room and I want to do something cool with it.

I'm not interested in doing a community tank, which won't even work in a 10g, IMO.

I would like to do only one fish in this 10g and I'm considering a male Apistogramma Agassizii.

They only grow up to 3.5 inches and are very colorful and I really enjoy keeping Cichlids. I am aware that they will do best in a 20g because they are Cichlids but will it be okay if I just keep one male alone in a 10g?
    Tank Dimensions are: 430Lx300Wx330H (mm)

Thanks In Advance!

2. N8_the_Gr8

N8_the_Gr8 Valued Member Member

Depends, are you going to add substrate and decor? If not then go right ahead. It is only one fish, couldn't hurt.

3. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Probably just a small cave, some plants and sand as the substrate, could also do bare bottom if it doesn't work out.

@Anders247 @NavigatorBlack @BottomDweller Do you guys have any ideas about this?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  4. the guy

the guy Valued Member Member

Don't most cichlids have to be kept in pairs?

5. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Not necessarily. I've kept 2 Male BPs, 1 Male Sev and 1 male FireMouth before, no problems at all.

Keeping them in pairs make it worse actually. Cichlids get quite agressive when they are in breeding mode

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Personally I would only keep them in a 20 gallon+ but I think one would be ok in a 10 gallon.

7. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Alright, thanks for your input. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice