29 Gallon Tank Apistogramma Agassizii Breeding Suggestion Required

aiden4aqua
Hello everyone!

Good morning from Seoul, Korea.

I have recently housed a beautiful pair of Apistogramma agassizii. I also have 6 neon tetras and 2 otocinclus catfish in my fully cycled 29G long. It is a heavily planted tank as well.

I have started to see some breeding behaviour, or I am not sure what it is. The male is always kind of shimmers (shows off his colours and opened fins) in front of the female and it is kind of interesting where I feel he wants her to go inside the cave and check and lay eggs. But she does not seem to be pregnant yet. She follows him, goes inside the cave for a minute or two and comes out, and they keep on doing this many times a day.

It will be interesting to see them being parents. I have few questions to help me have their successful breeding:

1. Do they both care about eggs and raise the fry?

2. Do I need some more dither fish? (I was thinking about adding a school of chilly rasboras)

3. I have put in 2 caves at both left and right corners, some Indian almond leaves and the planted tank also have many other small hiding places. Is it okay if the cave opening is big enough for both male and female to go inside, or the only female should go inside?

4. Substrate is a bit coarse, and they are unable to dig or make depressions in the tank. Do they like digging and they won't breed if they're unable to dig?

Thank you.

Any other suggestions and comments are welcome.

Have a nice day!

LowConductivity
Males are always trying to spawn....females decide when it’s time to spawn....if she’s not ready, more live food, more frozen food.

Sand is always better...they are after all, little earth eaters.

If the intention is to breed them and rear fry, no dithers is my preferred option. Everything (except the otocinclus) eats Apistogramma fry (even pencil fish)

aiden4aqua
LowConductivity said:
Males are always trying to spawn....females decide when it’s time to spawn....if she’s not ready, more live food, more frozen food.

Sand is always better...they are after all, little earth eaters.

If the intention is to breed them and rear fry, no dithers is my preferred option. Everything (except the otocinclus) eats Apistogramma fry (even pencil fish)
In the night, when lights are off, when I walk in the room. I see ottos very active and they also try to sneak inside the caves of apisto. Is that okay?

LowConductivity
aiden4aqua said:
In the night, when lights are off, when I walk in the room. I see ottos very active and they also try to sneak inside the caves of apisto. Is that okay?
It’s probably fine until there is a female with eggs....wouldn’t want to be that oto

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom