Apistogramma Agassizi Fire Red Female And Normal Male

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Miaw, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Miaw

Miaw Valued Member Member

Would a normal Agassizi apisto pair with a Fire Red Agassizi?

Are they the same as GBR, Electric Blue Rams and Gold rams in that regard?

Or is fire red agassizi some abominable agassizi the regular agassizi won't accept? :p

2. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

I don't se why they wouldn't, only concern is that you have enough large tank and enough plants and hiding places. Only like big no no is to breed different apistogramma species not different colorations

3. OP
    OP
    Miaw

My friend has a normal agassizi and fire red female and he seems to want to kill the female. She was introduced to him in a 15g with a few places she hides.

4. appcontrol

It's possible that male don't want that exact female an it's always better to give them few females if pair isn't buyed as pair. Even if they are a pair you should have at least two females per one male plus some target fish so the male dont bully only one female to death.
    Other solution probably temporarily solution is to remove one of them probably the male for 1-2days and to introduce them again.
    By normal agassizii you think like double red?

5. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Yes I just checked and that seems about right.

Looks a bit like this  

6. appcontrol

Double red, things i did wrote before in my opinion stands. I am planning to introduce two females to my one male in short time and my plan is to put him in like mesh box inside of aquarium that is made for live bearers i think and two leave him in that for one two days until females get acclimated and just get to find territories then i will let him in tank again.

7. OP
    OP
    Miaw

Cool my friend also bought a mesh box to put cory eggs in. I'll recommend he puts the male in there

8. appcontrol

I didn't try it yet and it isn't 100% that it will work but it could. More females would definitely help

9. OP
    OP
    Miaw

I'm just over there now and they're getting on great. He's like hey baby I buy us a house.

There's another tiny female in there too now but she's just hiding The two female are peaceful but the male is only interested in one.

These are a harem fish right?

10. appcontrol

Yes they are, all that is normal. Sometimes male know to breed with two females in same day

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're the same species, so yes, they can pair and breed together. As app mentioned, putting a male and a female together doesn't mea they'll pair. It's easiest to start with a group of juvies and get a pair from that (rehoming the non-paired fish).

You can keep them in pairs.

12. appcontrol

Yea i mean if they are not pair then it will go better if you have at least two females if it's pair you can keep just pair

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If they're not a pair, rehome the female that he won't pair with, don't just add another female. He can still beat up on the one he doesn't like.

14. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Most Apistos are harem breeders, so extra females will only be harassed by the male if they're not ready to spawn. Each female needs her own cave and about a 10" diameter territory around the cave.

It is possible to keep Aggies in pairs, but that is not natural behavior for the species. Eventually the male will kill the female when he wants to spawn and she doesn't. That's where a second and third female is helpful. He does not help with fry at all. Some species do have males that help with fry, but this is not one of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice