Apistogramma 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by mmerton, Apr 12, 2018.

1. mmerton

mmerton Valued Member Member

Hello,

I currently have a 20 gallon long tank sitting empty. I have a cave, and coconut hut, a balsa wood piece, and a few fake plants ( i do want real plants but I don't think my light is good enough). I know i want to turn this into an apisto breeding tank. I don't know what species, that's one way I need your help! Also, if you could suggest a filter and any other thing you can think of that will allow this to become a successful breeding tank let me know ! I have a 50 watt heater ( two actually) will this work for this size tank?

And if you have a good light for plants let me know! I do want some plants.

Thanks!

2. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Depends on what you are looking for in a tank. Are you looking for cool breeding behavior, colors, breeding for profit, etc. One of my favorite apistos based on beauty alone is apistogramma cacatuoides, they are commonly available, good looking, and not hard to breed. The filters I always use when having a breeding tank is sponge filters. One or two 50 watt heaters is fine for a 20 gallon. What lighting are you currentky running? There is many low light plants like anubius, java moss, and java fern that can grow with very little light, you can grow java moss with ambient lighting a lot of the time.

3. Fishoholic23

Fishoholic23 Well Known Member Member

Macmasteri can be stunning depending on color variant. I agree with @FlipFlopFishFlake38 ,Cacatuoides is a really nice option also.

4. OP
    OP
    mmerton

mmerton Valued Member Member

I currently have a current usa lighting system, i forget how many watts but i have had plants before and they didn’t do so well. Also how many sponge filters would you suggest? Thanks for the help !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice