Apisto Triple Reds

??????
I recently got the Apisto bug!!
Currently have 2 pairs of Orange Flash 1 pair of trifasciata, 1 pair of the triple reds and a second male and lastly one pair of the Macmaster.
One of the reasons I have 2 males the original order ( from a seller on Aquabid ) was for a pair of the triple reds and a couple other pairs.
He sent 2 males ( it may be just be if you claim to know a great deal of these types of fish you should be able to determine males and females ?? )
Well he acknowledged the mistake and said he would send another female out I decide to add to the order since he also forgot another pair that I had ordered.
The plan was to get 2 female triple reds 1 he was going to provide I bought one get the pair that was for gotten and another pair of another dwarf cichlid.
Well it did not happen word were swapped etc bottom line I have 1 female triple red and 2 males.
Is it possible to get another female does it have to be a triple red if it isn't I know will in a hybrid of sorts or should get rid of the odd ball male.
Any ideas on what I should do in this case??

Coradee
Welcome to Fishlore hope our apisto keepers can help answer your question today

yukondog
Welcome nwf,

chromedome52
Just remove one of the Triple Red males and with luck, the remaining pair will get along. Bear in mind that the Orange Flash and the Triple Reds are both Apistogramma cacatuoides, and can easily interbreed. I hope you have these fish in different tanks. I also would not keep trifasciata with any Cockatoo strains, the latter tend to be rather pushy.

??????
Sorry for the delay was not expecting any replies so thanks. Have another question I have read its ok to have several females with one male. I found someone on Aquabid who is selling just the females I bought 3 so the plan currently In my 20Long there will be 2 males and 4 females depending on how they interact might have to separate. ( what's one more tank?? ) I have also noticed in one of my tanks I have a pair of Orange Flash the male looks stunning!!! along with some guppies. It looks like there is a chance the female has laid eggs in a small flower pot, my line of thinking when I get close to the tank the female goes into the pot and the male stands guard with his fins displayed. For now I am just watching hopefully I will see fry soon.

chromedome52
I would not put more than one male Cockatoo in a long 20. If evenly matched, they will fight until one submits/dies. If one is dominant from the start, he will keep the other terrified until it starves to death. Yes, the males can service multiple females, but I don't thing a long 20 has room for more than 2 females at a time.

Usually if a female has eggs/larvae, she won't come out of the pot at all; but fish are individuals, and domestic strains don't always behave normally. Good luck on the possible spawn.

??????
I was correct today I was looking at the Tank were the Orange Flash Pr. that I thought had laid eggs and saw the female by the small flower pot and saw a bunch of fry right under her. Now if they do not eat the young I am in good shape.

yukondog
Congrats on the fry, what do you have to feed them?

??????
It may not be the preferred method but I use a quality flake mixed with small cichlid pellet and grind it so its fine the young were eating it. I can always resort to brine shrimp if needed.

Dawn Michele
Welcome to Fishlore!!!

yukondog
Welcome to the sight,I would add bbs also, if this is your first batch be prepared they grow like frozen molasses.

yukondog
I like to add a little boiled egg yoke to it for the extra protein. A small amount goes a long way.

??????
I like to add a little boiled egg yoke to it for the extra protein. A small amount goes a long way.
I have heard of some strange things over the years but egg??? No Bacon or hash browns maybe some toast?? ( kidding )

yukondog
Yep,Only the egg yoke. I powder up the flake add a small amount of yoke mix with water and use a turkey baster to target feed. I prefer to feed bbs for the first two weeks than switch over to flake/yoke with bbs supplemented 2-3 times a week. This seems to work for me pretty good. I have a batch of BorelliI fry that are about 9 weeks I still feed BBS to from time to time. Good luck

??????
just to be on the safe side set-up a small brine shrimp hatchery so within 48 hrs the fry will get some.

??????
Yep,Only the egg yoke. I powder up the flake add a small amount of yoke mix with water and use a turkey baster to target feed. I prefer to feed bbs for the first two weeks than switch over to flake/yoke with bbs supplemented 2-3 times a week. This seems to work for me pretty good. I have a batch of BorelliI fry that are about 9 weeks I still feed BBS to from time to time. Good luck

Since I am still new to Apisto's I have a feeling I am going to either set up more tanks or see if I can trade for different types. I saw on Aquabid Wetspot is selling Blue BorellI color wise they are awesome but for right now I have 2 triple red trios, 1pr orange flash, 1pr trifasiata, and 1pr macmasteri. Not a bad start.

yukondog
They are addicting, I got the Apisto bug last year. I started with one pair of Borellii's counting fry I have 15 Borellii, pair of Hongsloi, one male Bitaeniata [need female] and hopefully soon will have a male orange flash [need female]. Maybe when everything gets going we could do some trading down the road.

??????
Started with the BBS the fry like it. The funny part the fry are not much bigger then the shrimp.

chromedome52
Cichlid fry have teeth, and they can tear a brine shrimp naupliI into bites that they can swallow. A lot of people assume that they have to be able to swallow them whole.

??????
It was not that I thought they swallowed them whole I was just commenting on the size of the fry they are tiny. I have a pair of Kribensis in my community tank when they have fry they are much larger not that any fry are large. Based on the comment by yukondog they take forever to attain any sort of size?

yukondog
I have kribs that laid around the same time 4/8/18 they are three times the size as my apisto fry [Borellii], everything I read about apisto's says they grow slow . Feeding them bbs will help them a lot. Good luck.

??????
I have to ask where did you get the BorelliI and the Hongsloi??? I just set up another tank for another pair.

??????
Well thanks my lack of patience I went to the one LFS in my area that has some apisto's all I needed was one female Orange Flash and one thing led to another I ended up getting 5 of the golden morph of the cacotuoides. They are fairly small but the odds are in my favor of getting a pair. So what started as 1 pair of apisto's has no turned into 7 groups. Hate this hobby!!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sharambil
  • Question
Replies
Views
FreshwaterCole
Replies
Views
Linda1234
Replies