Apisto Day Dreams

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by fyshfuud, Apr 10, 2017.

1. f

fyshfuud Valued Member Member

I'm thinking of starting up a 20g TALL. Are there any species of apistos that would be suitable? I'm not interested in breeding, so could I have one solo in a community or maybe one of 2 different species? Maybe one apisto with a ram, scarlet badis, or peacock gudgeon? I definately want a community with at least one species of schooling fish.

I currently use a combination of RO/DI and spring water in my 10g. I will either do the same or remineral the RO/DI to the needs of the fish. (My well water isn't suitable, and since I rent, I won't be investing in expensive home filtration.) I think I can probably accomplish whatever the community needs.

Current 10g stats: ammonia 0, nitrate 5, nitrite 0, GH 100, KH 100, pH 6.8
    Stocking: 6 CPD, 6 Emerald Eye Rasbora, 1 Zebra Nerite (Yes, I know there aren't enough of each species for proper schooling. This will be adressed soon!)

I will not be keeping the 10g set up. I am open to moving over the fish or rehoming as needed. If I do keep either or both schools, I will increase to 12 for a proper school. I'll be basing the decisions to move or keep depending on the needs of the new fish.

Other fish I love: cories, danios, gouramis, kribensis

2. Piaelliott

Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I think you can keep an apisto in a 20 gal h without a problem. I am not sure about other apistos but apistogramma cacatuoides would snack on your schooling fish for sure, those are tiny!

What about adding 2 honey Gouramis instead and kuhli loaches for the bottom? The you would have an Asian theme :)

3. OP
    OP
    f

Yeah, that is why I said I am open to rehoming the tiny schoolers I have now. Could I do a larger schooler like danios or cherry barbs?

4. OP
    OP
    f

5. OP
    OP
    f

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would do an Apistogramma borelli, as they are more cool water which is what CPDs need. I wouldn't do both an apisto and a ram, badis, or gudgeon.

7. t

texasfishkeeper01 New Member Member

If possible you should do a 20 long instead. Apistos like ground space and a 20 tall can't give it to them.

8. OP
    OP
    f

Unfortunately, a 20 long will not fit on the cabinet I intend to use as a stand, or I would prefer that or a 29. Both of those options are 30" long, but I have a 27" cabinet. :/

So only one apisto could fit? I couldn't do more than one species or multiple of the same species? Are they too agressive to do 2 same sex of the same species? I'd have no way to care for fry. If I had a pair, I'd have to have something to eat the fry, or I'd have to give them away before they over ran my tank. Sadly, my tiny studio apartment has no room for MTS.

9. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Anders

Personally I would just do one apisto

10. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks! So that changes my question. If I forgo the apisto, could the GBR, badis, or gudgeons be kept as multiples of the same sex or mixed species?

11. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I think you could have 2 scarlet badis or 2 gudgeons but I would probably only do one GBR in a 20 gallon tall, in a 20 gallon long I think 2 GBR would be ok

12. OP
    OP
    f

How does this sound:
    • 10 emerald eyes
    • 2 badis or 2 gudgeons or 1 ram -depending on what I can order from my LFS
    • rehome the CPD to make room for gourami? possibly 1 darf, or 1-2 honeys, or 3 licorice?
    • would I have room for cories?

13. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I wouldn't add cories, but the rest looks OK.

14. OP
    OP
    f

Cool! Thanks everyone!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice