Api Xp3 Dying?

Cathy Reese

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi All--I have been running an API xp3 for some years on my 55-gallon freshwater. It has been fine with me. A little tight getting it in and out of the stand door, but other than that, keeps my tank pretty well. OK over the past few days it started making a huge racket. It sounds like the impeller is not turning properly and is rattling? Basically it's just being loud and not working. There is no water flow. I was afraid it would burn up the motor so it is turned off for now. I have a sponge filter in there too, so hopefully it is ok while I figure out what to do. I did take everything apart and clean it, but that made no difference.
Do you think it is dead, or could replacing the impeller help?

If you think it is dead, what's your favorite external canister filter for a 55-gallon fresh? I have to figure this out really fast--going to beach in a few days for a week. Thanks for any help or advice.

tocandesu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

I've only used SunSun canister filters. Not the quietest, but really good in value.

Is there air inside of the XP3? I recommend taking it apart and checking the impeller and motor. Then prime the system.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've only had the FX4 for a month and it's really quiet but the size of it is bigger than my rice cooker. You'll want to find a canister that can handle 3x the tank and take measurements. Some stand might not allow you to hold a canister at all. I found that out the hard way.

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cathy Reese said:
Hi All--I have been running an API xp3 for some years on my 55-gallon freshwater.
I've been running API/Rena Filstar XP3's and 4's for over ten years with no issues. So far I haven't had to replace none them. So when you say some years how many have you been using it. I was wondering should I be worried. I using 4 of them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads