API test results a little extra help if you could

1. Snow slider Initiate Member

Tank was set up 11/07/09 and three days later fish added. We used some products that came with the tank on start up but have only added water conditioner since.

Some Gourami died last week and water was tested and the Pet Smart showed ammonia at .5

I have since added twice ammo lock in two day intervals and did a water change day of adding ammo lock. Today being the second day.

Tonight I tested and here are the results.
    Ammonia 0.75
    Nitrate 0.00
    Nitrite 0.00
    PH 7.6
    PH High 7.6

For the last four days the filter pump is running but no filters in slots as they have carbon.

I will do another water change tomorrow of 10 gallons and retest ammonia later that night. I add water conditioner for the ten gallons every time even when ammo lock.

How long can I run no filters? Should I just pull the the carbon out of the bag filters and put them back in.

I am not really sure how best to handle this.

Fish seem to be doing great and very responsive to us coming in the room and at feeding time (twice a day).

Water temp is 78 degrees F

Have two live plants in the tank as well.

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

why are you running with no filters? I am really confused...

if you don't want carbon, cut it out, but the filter media needs to be in the filter. I'd do that now.

3. Snow slider Initiate Member

As I understand it with adding ammo lock the carbon would absorb the product so ammonia levels would not lower if filters are left in place.

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I don't use ammolock, so I don't know aboout that. You can just cut out the carbon, though. Almost all of your beneficial bacteria lives on thefilter media. Your tank's always going to have a buildup of ammonia without media in there.

if you get a chance, go back and re-read your gourami(2) thread, and the nitrogen cycle link. sometimes, once you've started something, it makes more sense when you can read it in context. There was a lot of good advice in your first thread.

5. Snow slider Initiate Member

Thanks Meenu,

I though with a complete self testing of water I might be better to start a thread over here as now I have a complete reading.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you are just in the beginning process of cycling..at this point, get all your media in there...ammo lock with daily water changes are a must with fish in the tank....carbon will NOT remove the ammo lock.....but carbon does need to be changed out every 3 weeks or so....once you receive nitrite readings, you got to try to find some prime water conditioner as ammo lock doesnt detox the nitrites like it does the ammonia....good luck!

7. Snow slider Initiate Member

Last night I put the filters back in and I will water test and change this afternoon. I was of the understanding that the filters removed the effectiveness of the ammo lock.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Does the bottle say you should remove the filter cartridge/carbon?

9. Snow slider Initiate Member

No it does not. I think it does with the medical stuff for the Gouramis' and they are now in a seperate 10 gallon tank for now.

I think because of the Gouramis' I thought I needed to remove the filters if I was to medicate them in the big tank but decided to put them in a hospital tank instead. The two left seem normal in all aspects but for how long I do not know. They both have a small section of their tails that look thin almost see through but act normal.