Api Test Kit Results?

Which is best. Laying on top of paper or a few inches above

• Total voters

Guppy nerd

I would like to know how other people are checking the test results due to shading poor light/Background they're using etc.
I posted a couple pictures of the exact same test tube under two different background conditions. I would like to know how some of you guys do it because I've been testing tank since the 70s and took a break for about 10 years and technology has gotten so much better over time. Long story short do you think the test results are better by laying it on top of a white piece of paper or holding it
IMG_20190304_121614660.jpg
IMG_20190304_121539977.jpg few inches off of the paper to keep the paper from shading the results?
One picture has the test tube laying on top of the white sheet of paper which shows a far darker result then if I hold the test tube and the chart 6 or so inches off of the paper. I think the laying it on the paper shows a far darker result as you can see in the picture what do you guys do?

Tol

I put the tubes right on the chart that came with the kit in the white spaces and view it under good lighting. (usually kitchen or bathroom)

Seasoldier

Hi, I'd say the second pic gives a truer reading, looks like the sample is taking colour from the 20 / 40 ppm blocks on the test card in the first pic. I use a different kit (JBL) which has a little stand that you put two tubes in one with clear water & the other sample with the reagent in it so you compare the colour on the card through the clear sample against the test sample but even then sometimes it's really difficult to tell accurately. I also try to do the tests in natural sunlight rather than artificial.

Redshark1

Orange good red bad, daylight best.

lorielue

i'm having this same issue. My nitrates could be 0 or up to 20. The same tube against a white background, or in the open lighting looks completely different. At the moment i'm going with open lighting... maybe just my glass half full perspective?

Guppy nerd

Lorielue I think I have the same half-full perspective, lol
I'm surprised I haven't gotten more opinions on the matter maybe at some point when I get more time I will try to call apI and get their opinion

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
20 Gallon Tank API pH test results help
Replies
Views
mastersafara
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views