api test kit nitrate confusion

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by michael68, Apr 3, 2010.

1. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Hey gang just tested my water and got 7.8 ph ammonia 0 nitrites 0 and im not sure for nitrates. It could have been 20,40 or 80 not sure has anybody else had this problem.Maybe im color blind or is there a trick to getting this test accurate?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

How did you look at the test? Laying on the card beside the colors or looking at it with light shinning through it?
    carol

3. OP
    OP
    m

when i looked at it with light shining through it it looked like 10 with the tube against the white it looked like possibly 20 which way is correct?

4. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I have always held mine just off the frontof the white background on the card in good lighting.

5. Butterfly

I believe the instructions say to lay it on the white part of the card beside the colors(anyway this is what I do :) ) and then read it.
    Carol

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

That's how I do it as well.

7. OP
    OP
    m

When i lay it pressed against the card it looks very dark possiblly 20 when i pull it away a qaurter inch in light it looks like 10

8. Butterfly

Both are acceptable numbers but I would go with the one with the tube laid on the card.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    m

Whats bad Carol anything over 40?I do a 25% water change once a week.Should i maybe do another small change mid week or what do you think?

10. Butterfly

What's good or bad depend on the fish you keep or if you have plants :) 20 or below is safe for just about anybody. Some fish are more tolerant and plants need the Nitrates to grow. So it's hard to give you a rock hard answer to that :)
    I try to keep mine right at 20-30. A 25-50% water change(depending on how messy you or the fish are) a week should be enough to keep every body happy.
    carol

11. OP
    OP
    m

Thanks Carol,your a huge help!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice