API Test Kit and ICK Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jrobber, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

I just bought an API Water Test Kit that tests for pH, high range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, but I am currently treating my aquarium water for ICK. So my question is should I test the water during this treatment or go ahead with the test?

The reason I want to test now is because I've lost most of my fish because of the ICK (or so I believe.) I have two Blue Gourami's, a pleco, and a Black Mollie who has survived while his other Mollies have died.

2. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

I would go ahead and run the tests. See what readings you come up with.
    Did you cycle your tank before you put fish in or did you cycle with fish in?

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

I began cycling with fish in tank (Jan. 2) and then added Tetra SafeStart about 4-5 weeks later because a water sample taken into the fish store read very high amounts of nitrite. About a week later, another water sample was "perfect" as I was told by the teenage girl at the fish store. Two days (Sunday) later, a very bad ICK problem occurred and I began treatment for the ICK on this past Tuesday. Sunday night, I did about a 1/3 water change.

I will go ahead and start the tests and post the results, because I think I going to need to be steered in the right direction in order to not lose anymore fish.

4. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Ok, here's the results:

Ammonia: 0. At first, I couldn't really tell if this was 0 or .25 ppm, but the longer it sat, the more it looks like 0.

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

pH: first test 7.6
    second test with high pH test came back 8.2

I've already read that the mollies should be fine with the pH, but my Gourami's and pleco are not recommended in those pH levels.

What should I do now?

Also, I have removed the biological carbon filter since I am treating the tank with the ICK treatment, if that has anything to do with the pH levels being high.

5. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

I am wondering if I should do a water change also. Sunday night, I did about a 1/3 water change and I have read to do water changes more regularly than normal with an ICK contaminated tank. However, I don't want to stress the remaining fish out too much. Good idea?

6. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

Crank your heat up slowly. I can remember if its 80 or 82 degrees but there is a temperature you can go to with the fish and the ich can't survive.

7. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

My heater came with my tank set up, so I don't think its an adjustable heater. Should I just remove some of the water?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice