API test arrived. Here are my results

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NickW, Jun 29, 2016.

1. N

NickW New Member Member

Hi all

Thanks for all the advice so far, I have bought the test kit as advised!

2 and a half weeks since I setup my aquarium and here are my results. I did about a 30% water change 3 days ago.

With flash..
    [​IMG]

Without flash..
    [​IMG]

It's quite hard to tell the colours, especially for the nitrite and nitrate.

I read it as..

Ammonia: 1-2ppm
    Nitrite: 2-5ppm??
    Nitrate: 10-20ppm??

Is this strange? With ammonia and nitrite levels still above 0, should I be getting a high nitrate reading?

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

Test your tap water. Some of those nitrates may be coming from your tap water. But with ammonia that high after 3 days

3. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

Just looked at my water report online and it lists an average nitrate level of 30ppm...

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Usually it takes a few weeks to cycle your tank. What method have you been using?

Are there fish in the tank? If so, I would recommend doing a 50% water change now and retest in a day.

Are you using Prime as your water conditioner?

5. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

I added some liquid bacteria into the tank. And some black pearls of bacteria. In the filter I have some white foamy stuff, some charcoal sponge and some biohome ultra.

There are 4 mollies in there at the moment. The water conditioner is API stress coat

6. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Just so I can understand better, what brand/size bottle of bacteria did you use and what size is your tank. When did you add it ( at the same time as fish? )

I would use PRIME as your conditioner since it will detoxify your ammonia and other harmful stuff in your tank for up to 24 hours after you dose.

So depending on the bacteria you used, most recommend not doing any water changes for 2 weeks so often its not good to "test" until that 2 weeks is up ( in regards to Tetra Safe Start )

7. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

[​IMG]

I also used some black plasticy spheres that came with the biohome ultra

Would anybody be able to tell if my reading of the test results were correct? It's my first time.

I've just done a 50% water change by the way.

I'm not sure if you get biohome in the US. So here's a video link, I think it shows the bacteria spheres too...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  8. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Looks to me like 2ppm ammonia, 2-5 nitrite and 20 nitrate. Can you also test your ph and high range ph?

Since you have the test kit, I would test for everything out of your tap so you'll know your baseline readings.

What size tank are the mollies in? Stress Zyme I hear isn't very effective. I would use Seachem Stability since you have some high waste producers. This bacteria supplement will allow you to do water changes while cycling. I'd also pick up Seachem Prime instead of using Stress Coat as Junne mentioned.

9. OP
    OP
    N

NickW New Member Member

I have a ph meter. Here we go...

[​IMG]

Bear in mind this ph is after the water change just

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice