API root tabs and shrimp?

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I’m a newb to plants. I’ve managed to successfully kill everything except anubias for the past few years. I decided to give plants another try, this time with seachem flourish and API root tabs. I have an amazon sword in a 36g and gave it a root tab today. It was the only root tab in the entire tank so far. Afterwards it occurred to me the product did not specify to be invert safe. I read that if the root tab stays buried, it should be fine. My substrate is sand. When planting my sword, I put it in a plant pot (the kind plants are sold in at the LFS, the black ones with the huge vents on all sides) and put a small rock and filled it with as much sand as possible. I put the root tab inside the plant pot. I’m worried the root tab isn’t deep enough. Especially with the vents on the sides of the pot sand doesn’t stay in there. The vents also mean the root tab is probably directly exposed to the open aquarium. I noticed the water got cloudy, but I also did a water change at the same time so it could be that.

Should I be worried about the shrimp? I have AC and seachem prime at the ready. Will they absorb the metals in the fertilizer? Should I do a 50% water change? How long will it take for the shrimp to show symptoms if they are affected by it?

Best Answer - View -Mak-'s answer

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All aquarium plant fertilizers are shrimp safe

New Threads