Api Quickstart Questions Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by NC122606, Apr 7, 2019.

1. NC122606Valued MemberMember

So I have a question about the API QuickStart and stuff.

What are your opinions on this stuff? Is it better to just let fish flakes sit and do all that or is this the way to go?

2. Thor555Valued MemberMember

The bacterial additives aren't a "magic wand" ... I think they ARE EFFECTIVE ... but mostly effective when used in conjunction with fishless cycling. That entails adding a consistent amount of ammonia and also controlling temperature. But I have found the bacterial additives do speed the whole process up pretty dramatically.

Never used API Quickstart ... I use STABILITY.

3. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

bacteria additives will not complete a cycle, but will instead boost it.
    i used TSS+ in the past and it gave me results overnight, relatively low ammonia, off the charts nitrite, and some nitrate. that didn't mean i was cycled though, since i still had ammonia and nitrite. you are cycled when your BB can process ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm within 24hrs.
    even after adding a bacteria additive you need to dose ammonia. i recommend dr. tims ammonia solution for this, fish food can be unpredictable.
    my apologies if i didn't explain that very well.

4. NC122606Valued MemberMember

Understood. Is it all right to mix up brands and with each other? Like if I put Dr. Tim’s, Seachems “QuickStart” and API Stress coat + Tap water conditioner it would be all good?

5. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

adding the ammonia solution (like the picture) and bacteria additives at the same time is ok to do. but with most additives you have to wait at least 24hrs after adding water conditioner for it to work. 20190407_183900.jpg

6. NC122606Valued MemberMember

Ok thank you very much! I think I got it now, bit confusing at first but now I got it. Thank you!

7. firesflighttWell Known MemberMember

no problem! cycling can be very confusing at first, i completely understand. even after adding the TSS i had to wait a week or so to get the cycle completed, so there is still a waiting game.
    i've never used quickstart before, so i don't know how it will work out with that. it's worth a shot though.
    i recommend only dosing 1-2ppm of ammonia at a time for the bacteria to process. higher amounts can get out of hand because your nitrates will go out of control, then stall your cycle. when that happens, a water change is recommended.
    before then, a water change shouldn't be necessary. those bottles usually say not to water change 2 weeks after adding it.