Api QuickStart and Seachem sulfaplex?

• Thread starter Korad2579
  • Start date

Korad2579

My betta has a fungal infection and I’m about to dose her with sulfaplex. I’m doing a water change beforehand because I tested the ammonia and it was between 0-0.25 ppm, so I figured I would do a 20% change before I dosed her. So my question is can I use the QuickStart in the new water then dose her? And how much of the seachem do I need? It says to do 2-3 scoops per 10 gallons, and I have a 5.2, so should I just do 1 scoop? Thank you!

kattiq

Well Known

Korad2579

kattiq said:
I wouldn’t bother using Quick Start. Just treat the betta and keep tabs on the water parameters. You’ll need to do more water changes but eventually the beneficial bacteria will grow to handle the bioload.
You could do 1.5 scoops and it would be roughly half the dose for a 10g.
thank you! I dosed her and just did a water change beforehand. I was wondering though, will I need to change her carbon filter when I reinsert it due to the fungus?

kattiq

Well Known
It probably wouldn’t hurt to change it as long as it’s not the only piece of media in your filter?

Korad2579

No it is, unfortunately I wasn’t able to cycle my tank before I got her (I work at a petstore and she was surrendered to us in a vase) and she’s my first fish in a pretty long time, so I didn’t have any established tanks that I could take media from. So I’m starting from scratch

kattiq

Well Known
Korad2579 said:
No it is, unfortunately I wasn’t able to cycle my tank before I got her (I work at a petstore and she was surrendered to us in a vase) and she’s my first fish in a pretty long time, so I didn’t have any established tanks that I could take media from. So I’m starting from scratch
Ahh okay, well thankfully Bettas are pretty hardy and you can just do a fish-in cycle with him. You can read up on exactly how to do it but obviously the most important thing is to not let the Ammonia high. Although he could of had this fungus growing well before you got him.
I personally would replace it just in case and since it’s not cycled anyways it won’t really matter:

Top Bottom