API Master Test Kit vs Test Strips Question

1. MNfishMama Initiate Member

I know just about everyone suggests using the API Master Test Kit (which I've purchased and am currently using) but I'm just not feeling it :;fru ... SO, I'm wondering if there's any hobbyists out there that swear by any test strip kits.

Thanks in advance!

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello MNfishMama. What's wrong? Why aren't you "feeling it"? To my knowledge the API (liquid) Master Test Kit is one of the best and most accurate tests out there. I've used strips and other test kits in the past and for one reason or another they just didn't work well. The strips were very hard for me to read. I used the Tetra Laboratte and it worked ok but there wasn't a test for Nitrates included (although in the catalog it does state that Nitrates are included but they are not).

The API...easy to read, the kit is complete for all I need to keep my fish happy. Not too happy about the glass test tubes but I have a bunch of plastic ones I can use.

Let's see what other responses you receive.
    Ken

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I used strips initially (sorry I can't recall which brands - some from Walmart, some from Petsmart) and it quickly became pricey and I discovered that they weren't giving me reliable readings. I switched to liquid after that.

The only issue I have with the liquid is remembering how many drops and the procedures because they're different for each test.

So, I ended up writing the directions on a piece of paper and taped it to each bottle. That way I don't have to keep checking the directions for each test and it's loads easier! :)

These days (my tanks are about 6 months cycled) I usually only test nitrate levels when I do weekly water changes to make sure they're low and stable. I check ammonia and nitrite about once a month. I don't test pH because my fish are not particularly sensitive to it. I do not suggest my testing methods for tanks that are in the midst of cycling, newly cycled, or undergoing changes like new livestock or medications. This is just what works well for my tanks at this point. :)

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

+2 great advice

strips are more easy and definitely less time, but for the life of our fin kids , id not trust them to let us know whats going on in our tanks....its just not worth loosing a fish because you get a false reading and feel things are ok...I do know once you use the liquid kits enough, you do eventually remember what drops are needed LOL