api master test kit vs nutrafin master kit...results different

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

um...okay. so, this threw me for a loop today.

i use the api master kit at home. my levels haven't changed much since i bought the tank 4 weeks ago. today's levels are:

ammonia 0.25
    nitrites 0
    nitrates 5-10
    ph 7.6

where they haven't changed much, i thought, hmm, i'll try to find a fish store that uses a different kit, for comparison sake.

they did a water test for me using nutrafin master kit. results were very different.

ammonia 0.6
    nitrites 0.3
    nitrates 5
    ph 7

...i'm not really sure what to think?

she told me that based on those values that my tank is "absolutely unsafe" for fish, which is understandable, but it's quite a difference from what api is telling me.

anyone have any experience with the nutrafin master kit?

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I only have experience with API, but something is not right if nothing is really matching.

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Same here, only API, but that's unsettling! I'm inclined to think the Nutrafin readings are correct because they make more sense for where your cycle is. Unless the nutrafin kit is a test strip, then I'd call it hogwash.

4. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

What nutrafin test kit is more accurate than API master test kit. There are lots of test kits much better than API's but not many are going to fork out 90 dollars for a test kit. Your parameters aren't far off and are regular for a fish in cycle tank at this point.

5. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The Nutrafin kit is accurate, but what bugs me about it is that is has unnecessary components unless you have uber-sensitive stock or inverts. It looks like a chemistry set. If Nutrafin trimmed the fat, they'd bury API. But they won't.

6. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

Are there any fish in your tank?

7. neonblue1980 Member Member

no, it was a liquid one that used test tubes and little bottles of liquid just like the api one did.

8. neonblue1980 Member Member

yes jomolager, there are three zebra danios. they've been there for two weeks. tank ran with flake food method for two weeks, then i added the danios, so 4 weeks total with very little change in parameters.

the api kit where i live was over 40 bucks. i don't know if i should return it and ask for my money back...i mean, if their kit is showing something totally different...i'd think they'd want to back up their own product. it's a pet store chain. i bought the kit at one location, and i had it tested at a different location, but in the same city.

she made it sound like it was this big god awful horrendous difference between the two test kit readings. but if it isn't that big of a deal, i'll keep the api! the nutrafin kit is the same price.

9. neonblue1980 Member Member

adam55, the store was using the 100 dollar nutrafin master kit. but they sell the mini master kit on the shelf, which tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph, but not all the other tests that the big kit offered.

i suppose it's possible that the pet store employee misread it...i didn't see the vials myself...but...probably not. the colours on the chart were pretty straight forward.

10. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Oh wow. I didn't even know they had that as an option, but I've been using API for years. Might have to switch.

11. neonblue1980 Member Member

yes, it's called the nutrafin mini master kit. the bigger kit was waaay more expensive. this one is pretty much the exact same thing as the api, but only has two test tubes.

12. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

If the fish are acting OK, perhaps nutrafin test is not the accurate one. If it were 100% accurate your fish would be in a very bad shape by now.

As to accuracy of the API test Mamajin, my Meds guru was always critical of it. She was recommending a different test, but definitely not Nutrafin.

13. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Not with zebra danios. They are used to test polluted water. They can usually survive a cycle quite well. Tough little fish.

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Jomolager - If you ever recall what kit MJ recommended, I'd love to know what it was if you don't mind.
    neonblue1980 - I'll withdraw my hogwash comment (ugh..who says that anyway?) judging from what other people are saying here. As I said, the Nutrafin readings DO make more sense given the length of time your fish have been in the tank. I feel like I'm seeing more and more people struggling to get accurate readings with the API kit, which makes me really nervous, since I have a QT in a mini-cycle as we speak.

I think better safe than sorry and stay on top of water changes with Prime though, as mentioned, zebra danios are hardy fish, but I know it's no fun to know they're being exposed to toxic water.

15. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Jomolager - If you ever recall what kit MJ recommended, I'd love to know what it was if you don't mind.

neonblue1980 - I'll withdraw my hogwash comment (ugh..who says that anyway?) judging from what other people are saying here. As I said, the Nutrafin readings DO make more sense given the length of time your fish have been in the tank. I feel like I'm seeing more and more people struggling to get accurate readings with the API kit, which makes me really nervous, since I have a QT in a mini-cycle as we speak.

I think better safe than sorry and stay on top of water changes with Prime though, as mentioned, zebra danios are hardy fish, but I know it's no fun to know they're being exposed to toxic water.

16. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Nutrafin used to do several items for water test.
    The " Mini Master test Kit " - a veritable chemistry set, or the " master Test Kit ", a more useable and cost effective set.
    I used these in the UK for several years before changing to API Master Test due to supply problems at the time, and I never had any issues with the Nutrifin products.

17. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

From what I understand zebra danios are often used for cycling because they are considered tough, but Mike, in his Zebra Danio description says they should not be used for cycling because it is very "traumatic and stressful to the fish."

Therefore, neonblue1980 will notice that they are traumatized or stressed, if, indeed API gave her false results and. Nutrafin is accurate.

18. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

19. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The best. Hard to find but easy to order online.

20. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

That is what Mamajin insisted on.

Nutrafin in addition to a few de riguerur glowing posts has pretty bad reviews on Amazon.