API Master test kit... Ammonia = 0.25?

magentatooth

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've got four tanks, all but one a bit overstocked (the last has just fry in a 70L). All in theory cycled and had for a long time.
On every tank, I read the ammonia as 0.25, nitrites as 0, nitrates as 5-20 (last one depends per tank, and makes sense with stocking).
I've done them 2 weeks apart, and again see the same for Ammonia.

I suspect I'm somehow them wrong or reading them wrong, as it seems unlikely for all tanks to be exactly the same.
Does anyone else get this problem?

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lots of people report this problem. I will see a faint hint of green when I hold the ammonia test up to natural light. But if I view it under bright light and against a white background, it is pure yellow so I call that zero.

Anthony1976

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The way I sort this problem is to test something which will not have any ammonia in such as bottled drinking water I then keep that tested 0 ammonia water in the test tube all the time so I can compare it to my tank water.

OP
M

magentatooth

Reaction score
Thanks very much - I'm sure this will be the problem then

Jittabug88

Reaction score
Ive had this problem in the past but after i ended up just shakingthe bottles for a really long time each they ended up reading correctly. But that got old really quick so i went and got anew set of ammonia bottles and they were good to go.. I just figured it was a bad batch from api. But yeah testing some distilled water from the bottle should be a way to check. If it is still reading there is a little ammonia,cut back on feeding,take out afew fish,or throw a handful or 2 of lava rock in there to create more beneficial bacteria that would fix the ammonia issues right up. Good luck to ya.

SheWhoConquers

Reaction score
I was also getting a 0.25 reading. But I tested my dechlorinated tap water and got a base reading of .50. And the color difference between the dechlorinated tap water and my tank water was different enough that I became even more suspicious of my steady never changing 0.25 ammonia readings.

Finally someone suggested that I stop reading my vials from the sides and read the vial from the bottom in natural light or take off the top of the vial and look down into it for accurate color. I discovered when I did that, I could identify color variants better and was indeed at zero ammonia.

New Threads