Api Leaf Zone As Potassium Supplement.

Dreypa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So my LFS was out of seachem potassium. Picked up a bottle of API leaf zone as apparently according to the ingredients its majorly just potassium with a very small trace amount of chelated iron. Should I have any concerns as using this as purely a potassium supplement in conjunction with seachem iron and flourish?

Will the chelated iron in leaf zone react negatively due to ferrous iron in seachem iron?

Dreypa

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you. I must say you peaked my curiosity, could you explain why not to dose phosphorous? I'm still a little wet behind the ears.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Dreypa said:
Thank you. I must say you peaked my curiosity, could you explain why not to dose phosphorous? I'm still a little wet behind the ears.
Iron and phosphorous are opposite charges and will react and precipitate out of solution. Once this happens, they can't be used by plants

Edit: Meant to say don't use on the same day

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
API's liquid ferts (leaf zone) only have only TWO major macros. I highly recommend Thrive by nilocG; it is super super SUPER concentrated stuff and works wonders. IMO, it's by light years far, the best easily available liquid fert on the market today. I use a concoction of Thrive, Easy Green and Flourish comprehensive. As well as Flourish Iron and Potassium. And API and Flourish root tabs. And that's all. Have to trim and prune daily!

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
API's liquid ferts (leaf zone) only have only TWO major macros. I highly recommend Thrive by nilocG; it is super super SUPER concentrated stuff and works wonders. IMO, it's by light years far, the best easily available liquid fert on the market today. I use a concoction of Thrive, Easy Green and Flourish comprehensive. As well as Flourish Iron and Potassium. And API and Flourish root tabs. And that's all. Have to trim and prune daily!
Isn't it a bit excessive to be dosing two all-in-one fert and and extra micro fert?

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thing is, for Flourish comprehensive and Trace for example, you don’t wanna dose those on the same day, because it creates positive and negative chemical ion bonds that then, therefore, become unusable by the plants. You wanna rose each of those on separate days. Oh I just informed what I have to use, since most of my tanks are heavily planted heh

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
Thing is, for Flourish comprehensive and Trace for example, you don’t wanna dose those on the same day, because it creates positive and negative chemical ion bonds that then, therefore, become unusable by the plants. You wanna rose each of those on separate days. Oh I just informed what I have to use, since most of my tanks are heavily planted heh
Oh, ok. I was just thinking it might be a bit excessive to have all of those. I just stuck to the seachem line.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The more and higher the light, and the more the plants grow—in turn, the more ferts they need. For example, if you own 6 Water ferns that start out at 6 inches, and slowly dose ‘em let’s say 2 ml of liquid ferts the first week, and then later down the line you acquire more plants, as well as all the ferns growing let’s say another 3 inches in the next 2 months, and maybe with some propagation as well, you don’t dose ‘em the same as when you started. You feed ‘em more as needed.

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
The more and higher the light, and the more the plants grow—in turn, the more ferts they need. For example, if you own 6 Water ferns that start out at 6 inches, and slowly dose ‘em let’s say 2 ml of liquid ferts the first week, and then later down the line you acquire more plants, as well as all the ferns growing let’s say another 3 inches in the next 2 months, and maybe with some propagation as well, you don’t dose ‘em the same as when you started. You feed ‘em more as needed.
I mean, I understand what you're saying about needing more nutrients for higher light, I just didn't understand why you need three brands that dose all the same thing (since Thrive and Easy Green are both macros and micros fertilizers just different composition percentages).

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Precisely. Different comp. percentages. It's almost like a liquid, condensed EI regimen: EVERYTHING all in mixed blend, therefore to ideally hinder any possibilities of deficiencies. All bases covered sir. : )

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
SFGiantsGuy said:
Precisely. Different comp. percentages. It's almost like a liquid, condensed EI regimen: EVERYTHING all in mixed blend, therefore to ideally hinder any possibilities of deficiencies. All bases covered sir. : )
Ok, thanks for explaining! Makes sense now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom