Api General Cure Issues. Help!!!

1. ladyfrench

ladyfrench New Member Member

i have a 55g freshwater tank that I’ve had for 9 months. I’ve been having a lot of issues lately and the latest is intestinal parasites. My male angelfish has been not feeling well or eating for a few weeks. He has a bloated belly, rapid breathing and clumpy white pooh.
    This morning I added api general cure to my entire tank because I think other fish are infected too.
    It’s been a few hours and my male is getting worse since starting this treatment. He’s up at the top of the tank, rapidly breathing.
    Should I discontinue treatment and let the parasites pass on their own? Is there another treatment that might work better and be less stressful on my angels.
    Water levels are all normal btw.

2. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

When treating parasites, things almost always get worse before they get better. It's only been a few hours, so the medication hasn't even had time to work yet. I've found that, with general cure, I typically have to do 3 rounds of treatment, even though the packaging says to only do 2 rounds.

Did you remove the carbon cartridge from your filter? Carbon will remove medication from the water, so you have to remove all carbon from your filter before adding medication to the tank. Otherwise it will be filtered out. You don't have to turn your filters off, and you don't have to remove any sponges or bio balls, but you do have to remove any carbon.

If you have a standard filter that takes a carbon cartridge, just remove the cartridge from the filter and leave it running.

3. OP
    OP
    ladyfrench

Thank you for the response. I have a filter that hangs on the back with inserts but the carbon isn’t easily removed unless you cut it out of the filter. So that’s what I did and then put the filter minus most of the carbon. A few little stones might still be stuck in the lining. Should I work harder to remove it all? I got most of it.
    I also have an air stone on in the tank which is still running. I wasn’t sure about carbon in that.

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

The air stone is good. Keep that running!

That’s odd that the carbon isn’t removable on your filter. You generally have to replace the carbon every so often. What brand is your filter?

I think the insert you are referring to is the cartridge I was telling you to remove. The cottony insert with the black carbon in it..., yeah just remove that cartridge from the hang on back assembly. Keep the pump running to keep the water moving.

5. OP
    OP
    ladyfrench

Ahhh... okay. Yeah that part was confusing. These LFS really don’t know that much about the hobby. You’re on your own to trial and error your way through this thing. I’m grateful for sites life this; that’s for sure.
    I was sure my male angel would be dead this morning BUT he’s still alive. I’m going to do another treatment tomorrow.... and then another on Tuesday. Hopefully that does it. Thanks again for responding ♥️

6. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

APIGC usually calls that each packet = 10g. So your 55 requires you to use 6 packets. After 48 hours you do a 25-35% water change, that’s just one treatment. So to start the 2nd treatment you will need to repeat this process another two times, at least. That’s a total of 18 packets or three boxes of this stuff.

If you started on Friday your next treatment should be Sunday and the next Tuesday.

If the only thing you have in your tank is just the carbon pads you should look to replace that later after your done with treatment. Perhaps cut a hole in the pad and dump the carbon.

If the male angel is still not well keep going with the treatment. It would be easier on yourself and on the wallet if you got a QT system and put the angel in a 10g so you only treat with one packet and not 6.

7. OP
    OP
    ladyfrench

I don’t have a QT tank set up yet but I’m going to start one this coming week. I have a few flagtails too. I think I need bigger than a 10 for QT. Thoughts?

8. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I think 10g at best is the minimum you should get. If you want to get something a little bigger you could go with a 30+ gallon plastic box from a walmart, target or some random store. That will be cheap and will have enough room for a fish to roam around.

Obviously depending on the size of the fish I think a 30g tote will do fine. If you have fish maybe around 3-5 inches a 10 gallon will work as well. Anything smaller will just cause more problems.