Api freshwater master test kit

1. bus927 Member Member

Finally got the master kit but having a hard time reading the color chart this purple looks like that purple...I don't think it's that color green is it ?! Does anyone else have this problem and or have an easier way to figure this out.. I definitely didn't like some of my readings I was getting and I'm wondering if I did something wrong.. My fish are all alive and I'm not sure if the numbers I got were right because they shouldn't be able to live in such waters if that was the case..

2. Shel Member Member

I agree in that some colors look like others. It can be hard to read at times. What are your parameters? What size tank, and fish? Kudos in getting the kit, though. Always money well spent.

3. fisharegreat8962 Member Member

Try looking at it in a different lighting area. If you still can't tell, sometimes the master kits aren't very accurate or something's wrong with them, so you might have to buy a new one. Sometimes the way cheaper ones that you never buy cause you think they're too low quality end up being more accurate than the super expensive ones. Or maybe the specific one you got was broken. :;google

4. bus927 Member Member

[​IMG]

20 gallon set up, fish are 2 platys, 4 guppies, a DG, and 3 Corys

This was drastically different when I first tested before I went to work, it kinda freaked me out so I did a 25% wc and dosed with prime before I left

Are these bad enough to have to do a water change ?

5. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

Your nitrites are definitely too high.

6. bus927 Member Member

Exactly.. Now what can I do to lower these down ?

7. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

50 percent water change stabilty if you have some might help

8. bus927 Member Member

I just did a 50% I don't have stability but I had prime on hand so I threw that in my water before I added it to the tank. Did a test and it's still high.. Not as high as it was but the reading is still purple.. Just a lighter shade I believe

9. Allie2011 Member Member

Are you looking at the test right away? I find that my colors change if i let them sit to long and they read higher then they should be.

10. Ursinos Member Member

There is an android app out there called aquarium note (I use it as a record keeping system). One of its features that might help is a colour comparer. Take a pic of the vial with the reading card with it, indicate which is which, and it gives you a (theoretically) more accurate estimate.

I haven't used that part of it yet, but it might be useful for your issue

11. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

Do your fish look stressed? There is supposed to be a nitrite spike during cycling that disappears fairly quickly. Over 1.0ppm I've been told is toxic but you can also use up to five times the recommended dosafe of prime to detoxify nitrites in an emergency it says on the back. If it's still over 1.0ppm after 24 hours I would do another 50 percent water change personally

12. bus927 Member Member

Allie I'm giving it the 5 mins or whatever the time would be that it says in the manual that the test kit came with.. Ursinos if it comes as an iPhone app I can download it.. That would be a great help.. superbutterfly everyone is swimming around like they always were no one in particular looks stressed at all.. My DG is doing laps swimming around like he always does.. The guppies are all playing with each other so I wouldn't think there is any form of stress in the tank.. I dosed a little extra prime this time to be safe.. I'll check in the morning to see how the readings are for everything but I just need this time to be over.. It's stressing me out more than the fish lol

13. superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I know what you mean! Having a nitrite spije in a tank i thought had finished cycling weeks ago. Fish didn't appear to care that ot was 2 to 5ppm! Think i might have over fed. You might fast the tank for a day to let the bacteria catch up a little too.

14. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

The best way to read the test is by sunlight, from a window or something, try and angle the vial so that the whole vial shows up as one solid color.

You'll get used to determining the colors eventually. TBH I don't even need to check by sunlight anymore but I do anyways just to double check.

15. bus927 Member Member

They are definitely being fasted tomorrow my water now is finally clear well clearer than the cloudy mess I couldn't figure out for the longest time.. Would anyone recommend switching the substrate to sand and not gravel? Possibly easier to see the left over fish food? And not letting it sink between the cracks of each piece of gravel and work its way to the bottom of my tank underneath all the gravel...?

16. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Sand can be a pain because when you suck up food it'll try to suck up sand too. It's easy to clean gravel, just bump into the gravel with the vacuum and it should knock loose any food and debris.

17. AndrewJ54 Member Member

Did you cycle the tank before adding any of your fish?

18. navarro1950 Member Member

Hi bus
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish or are you cycling your tank now because those colors are the colors you get during the cycle phase. As for reading the text tubes correctly always read in a very well lite area where there is sun or the where you may have those daylight bulbs in your fish room. I use a sheet of white paper behind the tube to bring out the color better.

19. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I would consider back to back 50% water changes with Prime. That should bring your levels down quite a bit. As long as you match for temp & the pH is similar it will be fine. Looks like you are still cycling.
    Guideline for water changes during cycling:
    If ammonia + nitrites > or = 1.0, do a large water change, dose with Prime and recheck in 24 hours.
    If ammonia + nitrites < 1.0, dose with Prime and recheck in 24 hours.
    Welcome to the forum & good luck! Keep asking questions if something isn't clear.

20. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Sand is so much easier to keep clean than gravel. All you have to do is hold the siphon right above the the sand, and the debris will get sucked up. With the sand that does get sucked up, it's so minimal, you won't notice the difference. Also with sand, the debris sits on top and you can see everything that needs to be sucked up.