API CO2 Booster

orangeclumsy1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've heard good things about it from a friend of mine, but I'm hesitant to put it in my tank. I've already bought it but was wondering if anyone had any experience with it on here? It says that it is "liquid carbon" and "promotes a vibrant, healthy planted aquarium". I want to make sure it is safe to use in an invert tank, as my tank will be a RCS tank. Thank you so much for your input.

Beelzebubbles

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm still a plant n00b but i have done a lot of my own research so ill try help you out the best i can.

I use flourish excel, which is also a liquid co2. Cant say it has done much good or bad. I still have algae and i do suspect it might have killed one of my plants (stargrass, which is delicate so i am not surprised)

On the other hand, my jungle val took off in a couple weeks, just had to trim about 6" off them the other night.

Also, the success of your plants will also depend on a bunch of other factors too (lighting, substrate, ferts etc) so if you're going to use the liquid co2, i might get some ferts to go along with it. (i was dosing excel on its own up until a couple weeks ago, now i have flourish comp. and trace)

As per your question about the RCS, they should be safe. Just be careful when you dose it, because you can overdose!

And just a tip, because i know it didn't say it on my bottle of Excel - Always dose it BEFORE the lights go on in your aquarium (another mistake i made myself, i was dosing after the lights went off). And if you are using active carbon in your filter, switch to some regular floss - the carbon will just take it out.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
API CO2 Booster is very similar to Flourish Excel by Seachem. It will help your plants and help kill/inhibit algae. I think it is generally safe for inverts like RCS, but there are mixed opinions on it throughout the web.....

Some say it wiped out their shrimp colony almost instantly after adding it to the tank. Others say they have double and tripled dosed with no ill effects. I personally use it in my tanks and my RCS are thriving. I think some of the bad reactions are when people use the larger intial dose that is recommended on the Flourish Excel bottle. Not sure what the directions on the API CO2 booster says. On the Excel it says to use a larger initial dose then go down to the smaller dose for regular use. I think if you stay at or below the smaller dose you should be fine. I like doing daily half doses. Normal daily dose for Excel is 1ml per 10 gallons, not sure of API product.

Also, it is generally good for most plants, but it is known to melt a few species. Namely Anacharis and vals. A lot of people say they started out with smaller dosages and worked up to normal dosage to get their anacharis or vals acclimated to using it and they were fine after that. Others say it melts their anacharis and vals so they stopped using it. Looks like Beelzebubbles had good results with his vals.

Remember the main thing with live plants is striving to achieve the best balance of the main 3 factors to best suit your tank. The main 3 factors that affect plant growth in planted tanks are light, ferts/nutrients, and CO2. You want to balance all 3, as if any of them are out of whack you will have problems like algae, poor growth/plant health, etc.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom