Help API ammonia test results

jhughes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Is my API ammonia tester flawed? after setting up my tank a week ago i have only been getting a 'clear' result, no colour whatsoever. I have a large piece of shrimp in a stocking (pantyhose) in my 40 gallon tank and the temperature is on 30 degrees C. as far as i know even a result of 0 is meant to be yellow, why is my result completely clear?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That is odd. I don't know how long it takes for the shrimp to break down but it seems like you should have a reading by now.

Just to check you're using Ammonia bottle #1 and #2?

jhughes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bottle #1, ive considering using #2 to see if the result is different but havent yet

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Read the instructions - you have to use both bottles. I did the same think my first 2 tests.

jhughes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
im the worst at reading instructions.. this has baffled me for a week. thanks guys

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just curious: what did you think bottle #2 was for?

You also have to use both bottles to test Nitrates. Make sure you shake the snot out of bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds; some people here actually hit it on a table too. Then you have to shake the snot out of the test tube for at least 60 seconds to get an accurate result.

-Lisa

Prince Powder

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, definitely shake up nitrate bottle #2 A LOT! I wouldn't be surprised if I actually break the kitchen counter one day from banging that bottle. Every time I test the cats run under the bed, the birds start yelling and the hubby turns up the TV. (It's become a routine )I generally bang it around for at least a minute then shake the tube for about a minute and a half.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

You also have to use both bottles to test Nitrates. Make sure you shake the snot out of bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds; some people here actually hit it on a table too. Then you have to shake the snot out of the test tube for at least 60 seconds to get an accurate result.

-Lisa
Well, Lisa, when I did the EXACT same thing OP did, twice, I thought the second ammonia bottle was an extra for when you ran out of the first.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, Lisa, when I did the EXACT same thing OP did, twice, I thought the second ammonia bottle was an extra for when you ran out of the first.
What happens when you run out of bottle 2? Go to the LFS and buy a bottle 3? lol

jhughes

Reaction score
Experience
Just started

-Lisa
I thought it was a backup for when bottle #1 was empty.. considering theres 8 drops needed compared to 3 or whatever it is for pH etc.
im glad the entertainment has come at my expense. haha

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom