Api Ammonia Test Accuracy?

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by ChrisX, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ChrisX

ChrisXWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +284
    Experience:
    2 years
    This picture shows ammonia test on tank water (left) and Deer Park bottled water (right). They are the same, but to my eyes, depending on the light, it reads between .1 and .2 ppm ammonia.

The fish are very happy, eating great. Tank was cycled for 2.5 months processing ammonia and nitrites, but just to be sure, i added a bottle of Tetra Safestart Plus before adding fish.

Ive been testing ammonia every day for almost 3 monts..bottles are almost empty..could this be inaccuracy of old bottles?

Id like to add that over past month i dont remember it being completely yellow. While cycling, i would add daily ammonia bringing it to .5 - 1 ppm, and next morning it would look like this. Same as bottled drinking water.

Drinking water from grocery wouldnt have any ammonia, right?

Attached Files:

2. Kerina

KerinaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +61
    Experience:
    Just started
    For my tanks amonia never showed that definite yellow that is on the card, so I just declared the color I get (same as in your pic) as 0 amonia.

3. Silister Trench

Silister TrenchWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,445
    Experience:
    2 years
    I've never had a solution that consistently showed green, but if you're showing it for so long it might just be not-so-accurate solution as your bacteria should have caught up long ago in a cycled tank, unless... You're doing frequent water changes and you have ammonia in your water source or have very low pH.

Bottled water isn't a reliable source for ammonia free water. I've tested a handful just cause and any Sam's club shows ammonia, and I think Fijji? Did too?

My tap water tests for ammonia, but after a night in the tank it's an obvious yellow. I think when I too doubted the accuracy I tested mineral water and it finally showed me what ammonia-free looked like.

4. Redshark1

Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +1,756
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The maximum amount of total ammonia allowed in my drinking water is 0.5ppm.

My API test suggests my tap water has 0.25ppm total ammonia.

All my five aquaria measure 0.25ppm total ammonia with the API test.

This is completely acceptable to me because I know that at typical aquarium pH and temperature the amount of free ammonia is extremely low.