Api Algea Remover Killing Fish???

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I used some API algeacide to help clear up some algea in on my plants and my endler guppies are freaking out and one of them isnt looking to good I used the recommended amount and mixed it in a cup of tank water before adding it and about an hour after they where all acting up I'm not sure if I should worry or not

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well with API products, in my opinion, are a hit or miss. some of them like the Master Test Kit or their fish food is good, but some of their other products like the medications, water clarifier, and algaecide, will downright kill fish a lot of the time.

I only buy their food due to the bad reviews on the other products.

Keep an eye on them. If they keep freaking out, consider a water change and look for another product.

Good luck :)

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
JJfishes said:
Well with API products, in my opinion, are a hit or miss. some of them like the Master Test Kit or their fish food is good, but some of their other products like the medications, water clarifier, and algaecide, will downright kill fish a lot of the time.

I only buy their food due to the bad reviews on the other products.

Keep an eye on them. If they keep freaking out, consider a water change and look for another product.

Good luck :)
I've done 70% water change and they are still alive and it's been a few hours but they aren't active and seem to be swimming at the top of the tank

JJfishes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Zachsnanotanks said:
I've done 70% water change and they are still alive and it's been a few hours but they aren't active and seem to be swimming at the top of the tank
Are they breating air up at the top? If so, it could be that the Algaecide had reduced alot of the oxygen. I hope everything goes well.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I dont use apI anything anymore, they sell to many snake oil products.
I would never recomend adding a chemical to your tank that you dont absolutly need. The less chemicals they better. And I do not recomend adding chemicals that kill things. how can you kill algae, a healthy plant, without hurting a fish? how do you have a chemical kill snails without hurting fish?

GlennO

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The active ingredient in API Algaefix is known to be potentially toxic to fish. Do another water change if your Endlers are still showing signs of stress.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom